Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Red Princess: Didn't Finish

Red Princess by Sofka Zinovieff

I found this book while browsing the new arrivals at the library. Sophy Dolgorouky was a Russian Princess who fled her homeland as a young girl during the 1917 revolution. During the second world war she was imprisoned by the Nazis and discovered communism, embracing the political thought and lifestyle that had changed her homeland and displaced her family.
The book is written by Sophy's granddaughter and is more a tale of her granddaughter's journey to discover her grandmother than it is about Sophy. I did find some of the remarks and details of life during and after the communist regime in Russia interesting but other than that I just could not get into the narrative. It did not take me long to realize that Sophy was probably not going to be a person I would become vested in or care much about.
I applied the 50 page rule and then returned this one to the library.

3 comments:

Jeannetta said...

Oooo I've never heard of the Fifty page rule! I like that idea :)

Lisa said...

Ah, the beauty of the library! When you haven't paid anything, it's so much easier to quit reading a book.

McKeehan's said...

Thanks for sharing the 50-page rule! I like that. So often I feel the need to finish a book even when I am not enjoying it. But there are just too many books out there to read!