Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reading With My Kids: Chicka Chicka

For a few years now Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 have been favorites with my son. We usually have one or both checked out from the library. Sometimes we even get the read along version so he can listen and read on his own. My 2 year has now decided she likes them too so they are frequently being read aloud in our home. They are such favorites that I really should break down and buy them one of these days.


In Chicka Chicka Boom Boom the lower case letters of the alphabet are racing to the top of a coconut tree. Unfortunately that coconut tree soon begins to bend under the pressure of so many letters.

Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 is pretty similar only now it is numbers racing up an apple tree.
Both are great rhyming books and are helping my 2 year old learn her ABCs and 123s.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 are written by Bill Martin Jr and illustrated by Lois Ehlert.

Warning: If you watch this video with your young children you run the risk of them asking you to play it again and again and again and again....


5 comments:

Molly said...

Seeing the cover of this book instantly brought back fond memories of reading it over and over again to my children while they were sitting on my lap. They are now 23, 21 and 16!! Enjoy this time with them, it is very, very special.

Lit and Life said...

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was a favorite with all three of my kids. I swear I can still recite it and my youngest is nearly 15!

Laughing Stars said...

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom used to be one of my 5-year-old's favorites. I may still be able to recite it. *LOL*

http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/

Lit and Life said...

I've nominated your blog for the Heartfelt Award! Check out the post on my blog.

Chantele said...

My kids are obsessed with watching that youtube video! I had to hide it when they looked over my shoulder at the computer because I really don't want to play it 50 times today!;)