Monday, August 3, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward (August 2009)

Looking Back
July was another pretty good reading month for me. By the last day of the month I had completed another 11 books. I don't think I'll be able to but I'd like to keep that pace up for the rest of the year. I have a feeling my reading will drop off dramatically next month when my baby girl arrives.
A few interesting stats from July. Of the 11 books I read I rated 3 with a 5 star, 5 with a 4 star, 2 with a 3 star and only 1 with a 2 star. So I'd say it was a month of enjoyable reads.
As far as where I read goes, I spent most of my reading time in England with 7 of the books I read taking place there. 2 had settings in France and 2 had settings in the United States (one was actually split with settings in both France and the USA.)
I've only written posts for 5 of the books I read in July but the other 6 will be coming along shortly. I did manage to get all my June reads written up though. Yea! I'm trying to keep on top of things but I often find it is easier to squeeze in reading time versus writing time.
July 2009 Reads:
The Two Mrs. Abbotts by D.E. Stevenson (5)
A Vicarage Family by Noel Streatfeild (4)
The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (4)
The Green Bay Tree by Louis Bromfield (2)
The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen by Teri Edwards and Serena Thompson (5)
The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale (3)
The Five Bells and Bladebone by Martha Grimes (3)
The Journal of Helene Berr by Helene Berr (4)
The Case of the Left Handed Lady by Nancy Springer (4)
The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets by Nancy Springer (4)
Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold (5)

The Book I'd be most likely to force on a friend saying "You must read this!"

Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold
I have not posted about this one yet so here is a little blurb from the publisher.
Alfred Gibson's funeral has taken place at Westminister Abbey, and his wife of twenty years, Dorothea, has not been invited. The Great Man favours his children and a clandestine mistress over his estranged wife. Dorothea revisits their early courtship before the birth of too many children snapped her vitality, and discovers the devious nature and hypnotic power of this celebrity author. Now she needs to face her grown up children, and worse, her nemesis of ten years, the charming Miss Ricketts. This is a re-telling of the lives of Charles and Catherine Dickens.

My second pick from July would be The Two Mrs. Abbotts by D.E. Stevenson. I've also really enjoyed reading Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes mystery series.

Looking Forward
Like I said, I have ambitions to keep my 11 books a month pace up and maybe even surpass that this month. The closer I get to my due date the more time I am apt to spend laying on the couch with a book so we'll see how the month goes.
Here is a little visual of some of the books I'd like to read in August. Looking at last month's picture I realized that I read all but 3 of the stack. 1 I am reading now, On Gold Mountain by Lisa See, 1 found it's way into the stack for this month and 1 had to go back to the library before I got to read it. I am sure it will show up again in a future stack. (That second stack kinda hidden in the back is the stack of July books I need to post about still.)
Anyway, enough of my ramblings. It is time to go put my swelling feet up and read!

4 comments:

Lit and Life said...

You definitely will not be able to keep up the same pace reading. You'll want to just spend hours sitting looking at your little miracle!

Gerbera Daisy Mom said...

I'm excited to hear how much you liked Girl in a Blue Dress. I read a blurb about it somewhere (Book Page or NYTimes Book review) and I immediately thought, "I have to read that!"

Anna said...

Glad to hear you really liked Girl in a Blue Dress. I won that ages ago, but haven't read it yet. Enjoy your reading time while it lasts!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Booklogged said...

I think nine books in a month is awesome. You inspire me to get off the computer and read more.