Friday, July 17, 2009

Read Your Own Books Wrap-Up

With this challenge I made a goal to read 15 books that I own. I made a list at the beginning of the year of the 15 books on my shelf that I wanted to read. Of the 15 books I listed, I read 2. 8 of the 15 books I read were purchased since the start of the challenge. So while I did meet my goal of reading 15 books I own, I did not really get too far in scaling down the number of books I own that I have not read.
Nan at Letters from a Hill Farm is only reading books that she owns this year. She is not buying new books or checking books out from the library. I think that is a brilliant idea, only I don't know if I could do it! I'm sure I have enough unread books on my shelf to fill a year of reading but it would be really difficult and my list of books to purchase/check out would be huge by the end of the year. Maybe I will pick a few random months in the year and spend a month at a time reading only books I already own. I will have to ponder on that some more.

Here is my list of books read from my shelves (so far) this year.
1. Mountain Home
2. Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
3. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
4. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff
5. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
6. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
7. Saplings by Noel Streatfield
8. Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
9. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
10. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
11. Because You Died by Vera Brittain
12. Remembrance by Theresa Breslin
13. The Rain Catchers by Jean Thesman
14. Up a Country Lane by Evelyn Birkby
15. In the Garden with Jane Austen by Kim Wilson

The RYOB challenge was hosted by MizB. Thanks!

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

I like your idea of choosing random months during the year to read only off your own shelf. I've had the same idea, but have never put it into action. Hopefully you'll have much better luck if you choose to go with it! :-) I could never stop buying and going to the library for a whole year. Nan is my hero!

Lezlie

Lezlie

Lit and Life said...

I'm pondering giving up the library just because I can't walk out without several books and they all have to read by a certain time so they always come ahead of everything else. That would be ok if I didn't have well over 100 books at home waiting to be read! I am trying to only do challenges this year that I can do with books I already own and am going to drop back on the number of book clubs I belong to.

Alyce said...

This challenge has proved to be one of the most challenging for me this year. I have enough unread books on my shelves to last me at least one year, probably two, and I keep buying more. Yet I'm reading and reviewing advance copies and new library books.

I'm trying something new this month though, reading in a pattern - one ARC, one library book, one of my own books, then repeat. We'll see how it works. So far not so good because I have library books that I want to read before they're due.

Sheila DeChantal said...

I like Nans idea. i look at my book shelves and wonder if I never purchased another book, or borrowed, or won... I am not sure in my lifetime if I could get through all the books I own and have not read yet.

Of course the thought of turning down a great author review or missing out on a great new release.... well, here in lies the problem....lol