Saturday, July 18, 2009

Posters For The People: Art Of The WPA

Title: Posters for the People: Art of the WPA
Author: Ennis Carter
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 216
Published: 2008
Date Finished: 25 June 2009
My Rating: 3 Stars
Challenges: 100+, New Author, Library, Non-Fiction 5, Art History


The largest agency that President Franklin D. Roosevelt created as part of his New Deal program was the Works Progress Administration. The WPA employed millions of Americans in a wide variety of civic projects across the nation. One arm of the WPA was the Federal Art Project which employed artists and writers to create and perform in various entertainments.
The Poster division of the FAP was charged with producing posters to raise awareness and promote programs, basically on many levels it was government propaganda.
The posters highlighted in this collection range from posters about health and safety, preservation and conservation, community events, war and defense and the theater to name just a few.
This book gave me an interesting introduction to an art form that I'd never really thought much about, poster making. And of course, I loved the historical aspect of these posters that were created in the 1930s and 40s. Some of them made me laugh and I must admit there were a few that confused me.
The book listed a website that was supposed to have an online database with all the posters but when I went to look at it, there were no posters. I did find the Library of Congress American Memory web site that highlights their collection of WPA posters. It is worth a little browse if your would like more information about the project or to see some of the posters.

1 comment:

Lit and Life said...

I wish we could get the WPA back again to pull us out of our current situation. Wouldn't it be great to have the humanities be a part of the solution?