Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fred Astaire

Title: Fred Astaire
Author: Joseph Epstein
Genre: Biography
Pages: 198
Published: 2008
Date Finished: 21 June 2009
My Rating: 2 Stars
Challenges: 100+, New Author, Library, Non-Fiction 5


Silly me. I picked up this book titled Fred Astaire thinking it would be about, well, Fred Astaire. But you see, it is really more about Joseph Epstein than Fred Astaire. I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Joseph Epstein before I picked up this book but now I know more about him than I could possibly care to know. Even how tall he is and how big his ears are. I don't know about you but when I pick up a biography I expect to learn about the subject of the biography and not so much about the author. In fact, I don't want to know anything about the author.
The tone of this book just made me want to stop reading from almost the first paragraph. Too many of the author's personal opinions and feelings (and too many little aside comments set in brackets that I can only assume were meant to be funny but were just generally annoying.)
The book was set up as a collection of essays about Jos, I mean, Fred Astaire covering such topics as his looks, his clothes, his dancing partners and singing. All of which could have and should have been interesting if only there was less of the author left in the mix.

1 comment:

Lit and Life said...

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I love Fred Astaire and would have been sorely tempted by this one.