Monday, July 27, 2009

The Five Bells and Bladebone

Title: The Five Bells and the Bladebone
Author: Martha Grimes
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 328
Published: 1987
Date Finished: 22 July 2009
My Rating: 3 Stars
Challenges: 100+, Numbers


It has been more than a year since I last had a visit with one of my favorite detectives, Richard Jury. The 9th book in Martha Grimes mystery series has Jury heading off for a little R&R in Long Piddleton with friend and sidekick Melrose Plant. Of course, his vacation quickly comes to an end when a body is found inside a desk just acquired by a local antiques dealer.
All of the regular characters are back in this book, with perhaps just a little less of Sergeant Wiggens than I would have liked but that is just my personal preference for his character. :-)
This installment was a little slow and I felt a little detached from the story throughout most of the book. Martha Grimes does manage to keep things interesting but this was not my favorite in the series.
It is difficult for me to write much about mysteries because I don't want to give anything away and since I am 9 books into the series, I've pretty much already covered my thoughts on the characters and Grimes writing.
If you enjoy mysteries or would like to give the genre a try go and find The Man with a Load of Mischief, the first book in the series.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I haven't read a Richard Jury mystery in years. They are good mysteries. I might have to read a couple again.