Monday, July 6, 2009

Finished: Classics Challenge

Last year I made a list with about 10 classics that I wanted to read that year. I did not read a single one. So I just took the list, scratched out the year 2008 and wrote 2009. I still have not read a single one of those books. It is not that I am not reading any classic books, it is just that I am not good at sticking to lists especially when there are just so many books that sound so interesting to me out there.

So, here is the list of books that I did read for the classics challenge this year:
-Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
-Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
-Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
-Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy

The publication dates on these books range from 1872, Under the Greenwood Tree, to 1943, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The settings are as diverse as England in the Middle Ages to Victorian England and America around the turn of the 20th century. A pretty good mix of interesting books.
I really enjoyed almost all the books I read. The only one that I really did not care for was Black Beauty. My favorite was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Thanks to Trish for hosting The Classics Challenge.

4 comments:

Lit and Life said...

I just listened to "Ethan Frome" on CD. As it was Wharton, I knew everyone was not going to live happily ever after, but the ending really took me by surprise.

Trish said...

Congrats on finishing Jeanette! I have good intentions of reading certain classics as well but usually opt for the more entertaining or shorter clasics.

Ethan Frome is on my list but after your review I've been pushing it back. :)

Vintage Reading said...

Hi, what did you think of Ethan Frome? I'm looking for my next Wharton and not sure what to go for (I've read The Age of Innocence). Regards, Nicola

Vintage Reading said...

Oops, sorry. Just realised I can read your review by clicking on it! Yes, I think I'll try this next.