Wednesday, July 29, 2009

At Home with Beatrix Potter

Title: At Home with Beatrix Potter
Author: Susan Denyer
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 144
Published: 2000
Date Finished: 18 June 2009
My Rating: 4 Stars
Challenges: 100+, New Author, Non-Fiction 5



Any fan of Beatrix Potter's work should read this book. The author, Susan Denyer, worked for the National Trust and was involved in the restoration of the interior of Potter's Hill Top Farm house. She also set up the Beatrix Potter Gallery in Hawkshead. Denyer knew what she was writing about when she put this book about Beatrix Potter's beloved Hill Top Farm together. And what a lovely book it is.
Filled with gorgeous photographs and artwork this book takes the reader on a very detailed tour of Hill Top Farm and surrounding areas. In addition to the very intimate look at the interior of the home the reader is also taken on a tour of the gardens and learns about some of the many other properties that Potter purchased in the Lake District. Beatrix Potter spent years of her life working to preserve and protect the landscape of the Lake District. Throughout the book you also see and learn about many of the farms, buildings and rooms that were the inspiration for many of Beatrix Potter's drawings and stories.
Just a beautiful and interesting book. Makes me eager for the day I will be able to visit Hill Top Farm and the Lake District myself.

4 comments:

verity said...

I must get hold of that as my partner and I are planning to visit her house when we're in the Lake District for the Great North Swim in September.

Lit and Life said...

I hadn't heard of this and will have to pick it up--love, love Beatrix Potter. My daughter's room was decorated with Potter for when she was little. I had the hardest time parting with a lot of the stuff when she outgrew it.

Book Psmith said...

I love this book. Every once in a while, I will take it down and just look at the beautiful pictures.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a beautiful book. I don't know much about Beatrix Potter really. I'm trying to get my oldest (who's 3 1/2) to enjoy her books, but he's into Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine right now.

Would love to visit her house in the Lake District, had never really considered it before..