Sunday, June 21, 2009

TSS: Summer Reading with the Kids

If there is one thing I am passionate about it is reading to your kids. It is one of the most beneficial things a parent can ever do for their children.
We have two "scheduled" reading times a day. The first one is in the morning following breakfast and the second is at bed time. But those two times are far from the only times we read to our kids. My son or daughter will bring me books to read throughout the entire day. They both love books and even when not being read to either one can often be found sitting on the couch or floor with a pile of books surrounding them. Often when my (almost) 2 year old has wondered off somewhere and I call her name to find out where she is I hear her holler at me from her room "I'm reading!"
On the first day of Summer Reading at the library I trotted my kids across the street to sign them up. I told the librarians I had two pre-readers and was told I had to read 20 books to them during the next 3 months to be entered in the grand prize drawing and to receive a few other prizes along the way to 20.
20 books? In my head I was thinking we'll be done by tonight. The library we did Summer Reading at last year required that I read closer to 60 books and even that did not take too long.
So we went home and I started writing down the title of every book I read to the kids that day. Not counting books I read more than once that day I read 17 books to my kids in one day. I don't normally keep track of the number of books I read in one day so it was interesting for me to take the time to write them all down and count them up. That's a lot of reading. I also read at least 1 chapter from a chapter book to my son in the afternoons while his sister is napping. Every book read and every minute spent reading to my kids is well worth the small amount of effort I put into it.

Here is the list of books I read that first day for the Summer Reading Program:

Lizard's Home by George Shannon
My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann
Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis
Not a Box by Antoinette Portis
Higher! Higher! by Leslie Patricelli
My "e" Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Lentil by Robert McCloskey
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
D.W. Go To Your Room by Marc Brown
Arthur and the True Francine by Marc Brown
My "h" Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
My "k" Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
My "o" Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
Two Little Trains by Margaret Wise Brown
The Underground Gators by Tina Casey

Read to your kids!

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

Great post! I read A LOT to my kids when they were younger. Today my post is about the twins' high school summer reading lists. Thanks for sharing your latest list..and I love the photo!
http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2009/06/tss-summer-reading-assignments.html

Memory said...

It's awesome that you read so many books to your kids. My parents did the same with me when I was little, and I'm convinced that I'm a voracious reader today because of the time they took with me when I back then.

Amanda said...

Now that my kids are all older than 5, and all have been reading for at least 1.5 years, they don't like me reading aloud to them as much. I still read the Harry Potter books to my oldest son, one each summer as he gets older, but with the other kids, we just have a designated reading time every day where we all sit and read together. They like it better that way.

Shelley said...

Reading to my kids is one of my greatest joys in life! One thing we've done that my SIL told me about is to make a paper chain for summer reading--write down the book title in each chain and see how long the chain gets. Your chain would get pretty long!

Meghan said...

Fantastic post, I'm so glad that your kids love books! I hope it continues; you are certainly doing a fantastic job. I'm so grateful that my parents did the same thing with me.

Stephanie said...

I read aloud to the family, we love it. Just finished The Phantom Tollbooth and the first Harry Potter book. It's such fun, and so much better than sitting around in front of the tv. :)

Donna said...

The "sound box" books are great...my son likes them and they're helping him learn to spell and read. I totally agree that reading to your children every day, from the time of their infancy on, is one of the best things parents can do for their children.