Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mary Poppins

Title: Mary Poppins
Author: P.L. Travers
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Pages: 202
Published: 1934

Date Finished: 8 June 2009
My Rating: 4 Stars
Challenges: 100+, Library, New Author, Spring, Daring Girls


P.L. Travers' Mary Poppins is wonderfully vain and strict.
She is always thinking about and checking on her appearance every chance she gets. She is also rather strict with the Banks children and I found myself wondering why they adored her so much since she was often so harsh with them. I suppose it was knowing that she had some kind of magic and really, who wouldn't want a nanny with magical powers to take them on fun adventures? Even if she was a bit stern on those adventures.
A fun book full of lots of little stories. One of my favorites was the chapter devoted to the young twins John and Barbara. Did you know that while all we hear is baby babble and crying, babies are really able to communicate with animals and the wind? Unfortunately once they turn one they lose that special gift. Charming!
I'd like to read more of the books in the series but I think I'll wait and use them as read-a-louds with my kids.
After reading the chapter on Mrs. Corry and her gingerbread stars I was really craving some gingerbread. I pulled out my Mary Poppins in the Kitchen cookbook and used Mary Poppins very own gingerbread recipe to make myself some gingerbread stars.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I love it when you can combine good books with good food! The other night we had Turkish Delight while reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. We didn't really like it, but it was fun to try!

Trish said...

I read this one years ago and really loved it. Will you read Mary Poppin Returns as well? I hope to read both of these soon.

oh, and for whatever reason I had "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" stuck in my head all day today--much to my coworkers' chagrin.