Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward (July 2009)

Looking Back
After a few slow months June was a busy month for me on the blog. I (pretty much) caught up on reviews by posting about 14 books this month. It was nice and stress relieving to see the stack of books I needed to write about dwindle down to almost nothing. Of course, I've gone and slacked off again this last week and so my stack is back up to 6 books.
As far as reading goes, I read 11 books in June. I ranked only 3 of them below 4 stars, so I would say it was a pretty good reading month.

Looking Forward
Here is a glimpse at some of the books I am hoping to read in July.
I have a few holds coming in at the library that will be added to the mix as well. I love everything about my library except the length of time it takes them to process new books. I am first in the request Q for Shannon Hale's The Actor and the Housewife and Laurie Viera Rigler's Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict. I am pretty eager to read both books and wish my library would hurry up and get them processed.




You might notice that in that whole stack of books there is only one that is not a library book. Unfortunately, the libraries in Ohio are about to have their funding cut by 50%, which will be devastating. I am pretty disappointed in many of my state's politicians right now. I understand that cuts in the budget have to be made and I know that the libraries across the state understand that and they know that cuts to their budgets will happen but 50% is huge and as I said, will be devastating to the libraries in this state.
Fortunately, there is a great grass roots campaign going on all across the state to save the libraries. Hopefully it will help.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wow 11 books in one month! I usually get through 2 and I thought that was good!!!! :)

I hope that they can make the budget cut a little less dramatic. That is an insane amount of money!!!

Penny (aka Yooperchick) said...

I agree with Amy. That IS an insane amount of money. We're in our own fight in MN to keep that from happening. Already they're cutting the bookmobile from visiting our town, meaning that we have to drive 20 miles to get to the nearest library. It stinks!

verity said...

I love a Vicarage family, I hope you do get to read it and enjoy it.