Monday, June 1, 2009

Behind Rebel Lines

Title: Behind Rebel Lines
Author: Seymour Reit
Genre: Juvenile Non-Fiction
Pages: 102
Published: 1988
Date Finished: 26 May 2009
My Rating: 4 Stars
Challenges: 100+, Library, New Author, Civil War, Spring, Daring Girls


Franklin Thompson, private in the Union Army; Cuff, contraband Slave; Bridget O'Shea, Irish Peddler; Charles Mayberry, Southern gentleman; alias Emma Edmonds.
Seymour Reit tells the story of Emma Edmonds, a young woman who did not want to stand on the sidelines during the Civil War. Edmonds disguised herself and became Private Franklin Thompson serving as a field nurse and eventually donning more disguises and crossing Confederate lines as a spy for the Union.
Reit created a very enjoyable biography that read more like a novel than a work of non-fiction. It was fun to read about Edmonds various disguises and missions as a spy.
A great choice for younger readers, it did leave me wanting to know more about Emma and her experiences during the war. Since finishing this book I have ordered a copy of her memoirs that were published shortly after the war and have also checked out a few more books from the library about women who were spies and or disguised themselves as men during the Civil War. Some of the titles I look forward to reading on the subject are, They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers during the American Civil War by DeAnne Blanton and Lauren M. Cook, Southern Lady, Yankee Spy by Elizabeth R. Varon and Wild Rose: Rose O'Neal Greenhow, Civil War Spy by Ann Blackman.

3 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

This sounds like a book that I would really like. I'm going to bookmark this one to remember it. Thanks!

Jessica James said...

All of the books you list in your related topics are great! People don't realize how many women served as spies during the Civil War - and how successful they were. As a historical fiction author, I found in my research that truth really is stranger than fiction.

Danielle said...

This sounds good--I'm adding it to my list! I had heard of women disguising themselves to fight in the Civil War, but this is the first biography I've come across!