Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baby Name Author Contest

As you probably know I am having a baby girl later this summer. I mentioned in a previous post that my husband and I have very different ideas about naming this baby girl. I want something somewhat unique and maybe literary, he wants the same names everybody else is naming their baby. Talking about names can get stressful in our home.
I thought I'd have some fun and host a little baby name contest and giveway. Actually, I've got a few in mind. This first one is going to be all about famous (female) authors names.
Here is the run down. Below I will list the last names of several authors and you will need to provide me with the first name of the author. Keep in mind that they are all women (I'm having a girl) and please do not use search engines or look at the answers that others have left in the comments.
The winner will be determined by the most correct answers. If more than one person has guessed the most correct than I will have a random drawing for those people to determine the winner.
The prize: A new paperback copy of Alexander McCall Smith's 9th book in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, The Miracle at Speedy Motors.
Contest will run through Wednesday June 10 and I will announce the winner on Thursday the 11th. If I can not access your e-mail address through your blog (or if you don't have a blog) than please leave your e-mail with your answers.

Have fun!

1. Cather
2. Wharton
3. Frank
4. Austen
5. Lee
6. Mitchell
7. Angelou
8. Woolf
9. Beecher Stowe
10. Alcott
11. Christie
12. Tan
13. Potter
14. Bronte (3 possible correct for this one)
15. Hodgson Burnett
16. Shelley
17. S. Buck
18. Morrison
19. Gaskell
20. du Maurier


13 comments:

Vic said...

Oh, my, this looks like fun.I'm going to have to play this when I am not at work. :)

Amy @ Passages to the Past said...

1.
2. Edith
3. Anne
4. Jane
5. Ann
6. Margaret
7. Maya
8. Virginia
9. Harriett
10. Louisa May
11. Agatha
12. Amy
13.
14. Charlotte, Anne & Emily
15.
16. Mary
17.
18. Toni
19.
20. Daphne

That was fun! I was named after the youngest daughter in Little Women. PS - please don't name your baby Edith =)

Mrs. Mordecai said...

This is far too fun. Thanks for a great game!

1. Willa Cather
2. Edith Wharton
3. Anne Frank
4. Jane Austen
5. Harper Lee
6. Margaret Mitchell
7. Maya Angelou
8. Virginia Woolf
9. Harriet Beecher Stowe
10. Louisa May Alcott
11. Agatha Christie
12. Amy Tan
13. Beatrix Potter
14. Charlotte, Anne, or Emily Bronte (3 possible correct for this one)
15. Frances Hodgson Burnett
16. Mary Shelley
17. Pearl S. Buck
18. ??? Morrison
19. Elizabeth Gaskell
20. Daphne du Maurier

All right, I feel better about my sieve-like overdue pregnant brain now.

Alyce said...

I'm not entering in the contest, but I had fun going through the test. I was able to figure out all of them except #19. :)

Kristi said...

I already know that I wont win, it looks like somebody got them all but here are my guesses, as much as I could do.

1.Willa
2.Edith
3.Anne
4.Jane
5.Harper
6.Margaret
7.?
8.?
9.Harriet
10.Louisa May
11.Agatha
12.Amy
13.Beatrix
14.Emily, Charlotte, Anne
15.Francis
16.Mary
17.Pearl
18.?
19.Elizabeth
20.Daphne

starspangled@hotmail.com

Mama Rachel said...

There's one I don't know. :-(

(And I didn't cheat, either!!!)
1. WILLA Cather
2. EDITH Wharton
3. ANNE Frank
4. JANE Austen
5. HARPER Lee
6. MARGARET Mitchell
7. MAYA Angelou
8. VIRGINIA Woolf
9. HARRIET Beecher Stowe
10. LOUISA MAY Alcott
11. AGATHA Christie
12. ???Tan
13. BEATRIX Potter
14. CHARLOTTE Bronte
15. FRANCES Hodgson Burnett
16. MARY Shelley
17. PEARL S. Buck
18. TONI Morrison
19. ELIZABETH Gaskell
20. DAPHNE du Maurier

Jess said...

I just found your blog at MMB and I LOVE IT!!! Hope you don't mind if I link to you!

Jennifer Dee said...

1. Willa
2. Edith
3. Ann
4. Jane
5. Hermonie
6. Gladys
7. Maya
8. Virginia
9. Harriet
10.Louise
11.Agatha
12.Shaun
13.Beatrix
14.Anne, Charlotte, Emily
15.Frances
16.Mary
17.Pearl
18.Tonni
19.Elizabeth
20.Daphne

That got the old brain cells going, and so early.

KT said...

1. Willa
2. Edith
3. Ann
4. Jane
5. Harper
6. ?
7. Maya
8. Virginia
9. Harriet
10. Louisa May
11. ?
12. Amy
13. Beatrice (I wanted to say Harry though :) )
14. Ann, Charlotte
15. Francis
16. Mary
17. Pearl (I didn’t realize she was a woman)
18. Tony
19. Elizabeth
20. Daphne

Vic said...

Here goes:
Willa
Edith
Anne
Harper
Margaret
Maya
Virginia
Harriet
Louisa Mae
Agatha
Amy
Beatrix
Charlotte
Frances
Mary
Pearl
Tony
Elizabeth
Daphne

Charlotte said...

1. WILLA Cather
2. ? Wharton
3. ANNE Frank
4. JANE Austen
5. ? Lee
6. ? Mitchell
7. ? Angelou
8. VIRGINIA Woolf
9. HARRIOT Beecher Stowe
10. LOUISA MAY Alcott
11. AGATHA Christie
12. AMY Tan
13. ? Potter
14. CHARLOTTE Bronte (3 possible correct for this one)
15. ? Hodgson Burnett
16. MARY Shelley
17. PEARL S. Buck
18. TONI Morrison
19. ? Gaskell
20. DAPHNE du Maurier

Donna said...

1. Willa Cather
2. Edith Wharton
3. Anne Frank
4. Jane Austen
5. Ann Lee
6. Margaret Mitchell
7. Maya Angelou
8. Virginia Woolf
9. Harriet Beecher Stowe
10. Louisa May Alcott
11. Agatha Christie
12. Amy Tan
13. Beatrix Potter
14. Emily, Anne, and Charlotte Bronte
15. Frances Hodgson Burnett
16. Mary Shelley
17. Pearl S. Buck
18. Toni Morrison
19. Elizabeth Gaskell
20. Daphne du Maurier

mandbrid said...

Not commenting for the contest...just want to say that HARPER is adorable! My only daughter is named Bronwyn. When I saw this name I thought it sounded very "novel-like". Later someone told me she had read a book with a character named Bronwyn. I think she said it was How Green Was My Valley. I haven't read it yet but I just reserved a copy at the library.