Friday, May 1, 2009

Look What I Got!

That box is part 1 of my Mother's Day/Anniversary Present. New bookshelves! I am so excited!
I really like the bookshelves I have in my living room but they are short and kinda narrow and my books outgrew them about 5 minutes after I bought them. Since my wedding anniversary (8 years!) and mother's day are only a week apart, I thought it would be the perfect time to buy new shelves. We went to Ikea and picked out some shelves that are much taller and wider and will accommodate many more books. To make things easier on the pocket book we decided to just buy one shelf at a time. We will go back and get the other one in a few more weeks. My husband is going to put the new shelf together for me tonight but I could not wait that long to get things going so I cleared off and moved one of the old shelves to its new home.
Now that I am going to have space for more books I am pulling all the books I have scattered around the house in various odd places together. I am working on an organization plan. Here are the categories or sections that I've come up with:
-Persephone/Virago/British writers
-Jane Austen and books about her
-American
-International (although, looking at my collection I see mostly American and British writers. Think I need to work on expanding horizons at bit more.)
-Memoirs/bios
-Mysteries (older, classic ones followed by modern)
-Misc/modern(books that I can't seem to fit in other categories)
-Young Adult
-Juvenile/Middle Grade
-Non-Fiction (organized by time period and location)
-Faith/Religious

We'll see what happens when I actually start putting them on the shelves. :-)
I've got a busy weekend planned. In addition to organizing books I want to clean the carpet in the kids playroom and the stairs. I am also really hoping to write about half a dozen book reviews. I've been so bad about actually writing my thoughts on books lately. I need to get caught up. So be prepared, if all goes according to plan I will have a book post up every day for the next week or so.

7 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Wow, how exciting! There's nothing better than having all your books out and organized where you can browse and find what you're looking for. One of the first things we did when we moved into this house was to put up a bunch of bookshelves in the spare room.

Chantele said...

That is awesome! I love getting new bookshelves!:) Your kids look the same age as my own! They are way cute!I have a 4 year old boy, and a 2 year old girl!:)

Alyce said...

Congrats on your new bookshelves! I love rearranging my books. :) Have fun!

Penny (aka Yooperchick) said...

I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA. I love all their stuff, but I hate the fact that I can't go in and browse without walking out with something! :)

Nan said...

I can't wait to see them filled! I love your organizational plan. I can't believe all you do! When my kiddos were little, I was out straight and reading picture books only. :<) As for 'expanding horizons' - I read pretty much the same, and honestly I am so happy with them, and there are so, so many I haven't read yet, that I don't venture much further afield. Maybe I 'should' but that's a word I never use with regard to reading.:<)

Amy @ Passages to the Past said...

SO COOL!!! I have some on a wishlist, maybe one day we'll get it. Right now I have three little ones that are about to burst!

Congrats - take a pic when you're done and post!

Marg said...

I am so jealous. My bookshelves are overflowing and I really need to get more, but I don't see it happening any time soon.