Sunday, May 24, 2009

All-Of-A-Kind Family

Title: All-Of-A-Kind Family
Author: Sydney Taylor
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Pages: 189
Published:1951
Date Finished: 19 May 2009
My Rating: 3 Stars

Challenges: 100+, Library, New Author, Spring, Daring Girls

I only wish I had read this before I read The Other Half. I really tried not to be cynical while reading this book and reminded myself that this is just a fun book for kids not a treatise on life in tenements on the east side of New York. It's just that after reading about Jacob Riis, I can't help but see this book as a very rose colored look at tenement life. Yes, I know not everyone lived in dank, dark, squalor but they were still surrounded by it.
So, unfortunately my reading of this book was tainted by my recent reading of The Other Half, otherwise I am sure I would be much more ready with praise.
A fun, lighthearted look at a family of girls living on New York in 1912. It was interesting to read about some of the Jewish holidays that I really did not know much about. Lots of great little stories but it just rang a little too unrealistic for me.

1 comment:

Emma J said...

Maybe reading it as a child makes the difference - I loved this whole series as a girl growing up. (I wanted to name my first daughter Gertrude after one of the characters and *coveted* their Sabbath meals - so peaceful and beautiful.) As I got older and learned what tenement life was like this book shone a light for me still - the decency and self-respect that comes from within a family and their choices and has little to do with the outside forces trying to beat them down.

thanks for the reminder!