Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Reading Outdoors

The Sunday Salon.com
This weekend has been absolutely lovely and warm (hot) and I am trying to take advantage of it by taking my reading outside.
I've always loved taking a book outside to read and enjoy. When I was younger I would lay in the grass in my parents yard to read or walk down to a neighborhood park that had a little wooded area and find a nice spot to sit and read. I don't get many chances to go off and read by myself these days but there are a few spots around my yard that I like to take up residence with a good book on a nice day.

The bench on my little front patio. Although not the most comfortable this spot does get some shade from a tree. I'll often pop out the front door and sit out here to snatch a few minutes of reading time.If the kids are playing in the back yard I will grab a book and sit on the patio furniture reading with one eye while the other is watching the kids.
Or sometimes I will grab a blanket, lay it out under a tree and lay there reading while the kids play. Since I am starting to get a baby belly laying on the ground is getting increasingly uncomfortable. This afternoon I remembered that my parents had given us an old lawn chair lounger so I had my husband pull it out of the shed. I set it up in the shade and enjoyed some nice reading time while the kids ran around the yard.
Good times!

It is probably difficult to make out the book in these pictures. It is The Other Half: The Life of Jacob Riis and the World of Immigrant America by Tom Buk-Swienty. I was very interested in reading this when I saw it at the library. I learned a little about Jacob Riis in college and wanted to know more. I have hit some duds on the non-fiction side this year so had my fingers crossed that this would be a good one and I've not been disappointed. Riis was a reformer and muckraking reporter/photographer during the Progressive era. His work really forced Americans to look at the horrific reality of the slums and the life of the poorest in society and helped bring about change. Riis lead a very interesting life and this is a definite non-fiction page turner in my opinion. I've got less than one hundred pages left to read and was hoping to finish today but there have been too many distractions so hopefully tomorrow.

8 comments:

Julie said...

I read The Other Half a year or so ago. Sure, I knew that immigrant life was hard, but I hadn't realized how bad it really was until I read the book. After I finished it I went back and re-read the All-of-a-Kind Family book where they meet a boy from the tenements and find a good home for him. That made me feel a little better. :-)

Melissa said...

I love sitting outside to read, too! Sometimes I guess it can be distracting, but we had some gorgeous weather where we are this weekend, too, so I spent several hours on our patio reading. :-)

Donna said...

I love reading outside too. The weather got really warm here in Connecticut this past weekend, so yesterday evening I relaxed on the patio loveseat with a candle going and read my Agatha Christie mystery. It was heaven, and it made me resolve to make this a habit this summer!

Karen Beth said...

I have left a gift for you here. :) http://kbpinkbookmark.blogspot.com/2009/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Alyce said...

Someday soon we're going to build a deck in our back yard and get some patio furniture (hopefully within the next few months). I usually lay on a blanket too, but that's harder to do in the summer months with the sprinkler on and the yellow lab running through the yard. :)

The Other Half looks fascinating. I love a good nonfiction book, so I have added this one to my list.

Trish said...

Looks like perfectly pleasant reading spaces! We don't have much of a backyard (we do but it is weed infested) and Texas is so hot that it makes it tough to read outdoors. I'm looking at your pictures with total envy.

Michelle said...

Reading outdoors is wonderful :) I should do more of it, but until recently our back garden looked atrocious and I couldn't bear the idea of it. Now that it looks nicer, I think I'll have to invest in a nice swinging chair or a hammock or something...

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I LOVE reading outdoors! We bought a hammock last summer just so I could lay outside and read. The problem is that the kids think it's their play toy. Which kind of defeats the purpose when I'm trying to read in peace.