Friday, April 24, 2009

Library Loot

I have not done a library post in a long while. It's not that I haven't been checking out books, I just haven't been good about sharing.
Here is my latest haul.

Fiction:














The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice. I've been reading a lot of positive reviews for this middle grade reader.

Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym. The only Barbara Pym book my library carries. After I read this one I will have to start getting other Pym titles through ILL.

Peony in Love and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. An author I've been meaning to read and am finally going to get to. I look forward with great anticipation to both of these books.

Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani. I bought the first book in the Big Stone Gap series and I think I will like it so I checked out the second one as a follow up.

Non-Fiction:














Death or Liberty: African Americans and Revolutionary America by Douglas R. Egerton. Since reading Laurie Halse-Anderson's Chains, I've been wanting to find some non-fiction that dealt with slaves in the Colonies during the revolution. I think this book will fit that bill nicely.

The Other Half: The Life of Jacob Riis and the World of Immigrant America by Tom Buk-Swienty. I remember learning a little about Jacob Riis and seeing some of his photographs when I was in college. I am really looking forward to reading this and learning more about Riis.

For Book Group:














One book that I never would have read if my book group had not selected it, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and one book that has been on my radar but who knows how long it would have been before I read it, The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

(Library Loot)

3 comments:

Anna said...

I've heard great things about Lisa See's books. Happy reading!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Donna said...

I read The Last Lecture about two months ago and so did my husband. It's a quick light read and very inspiring. I hope you'll like it!

Joy said...

I loved Lisa See's Snow Flower book and all of the Big Stone Gap
books are awesome!