Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy 200th Birthday President Lincoln

Today marks the 200th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's Birth. Born to poor, illiterate parents in Kentucky, Lincoln grew up to become our nations most written about and most mythologized president.
My family had big plans to visit many of the Lincoln historical sites in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois this year. Now that my husband has lost his job those plans are up in the air and at the moment, not likely to happen. Instead I will content myself with reading about Lincoln in a few of the hundreds of books that have been written about him.

Title: Lincoln, A Photobiography
Author: Russel Freedman
Genre: Non-Fiction, Juvenile
Pages: 150
Published:1987
Date Finished: 8 Feb 2009
My Rating: 4 Stars

Challenges:Library, 100+, New Author, Civil War, In their Shoes, Decades

Awarded the Newbery Medal in 1988 Freedman's photobiography of the 16th President of the United States chronicles Lincoln's early life in Kentucky and Indiana to his untimely death just days following the end of the Civil War.
This book did an excellent job of touching on all the aspects of Lincoln's life without getting boring or overwhelming the reader. I felt the author took a no nonsense sort of approach to Lincoln and did an excellent job at breaking through many of the myths that surround Lincoln.
I enjoyed reading about Lincoln's politics and his struggle with finding good Generals to lead the war. Lincoln had no intentions of ending slavery when he took office as President. His goal was to preserve the Union and keep slavery from spreading into new territories and states. Lincoln believed that if slavery could be contained to the south it would eventually die out on its own. Eventually Lincoln came to realize that it was absurd to fight the war without destroying the institution that had caused it and he drafted the Emancipation Proclamation.
The dozens of pictures and photographs enhance the narrative by giving a visual look at Lincoln and his life.
An excellent and quick introduction to the life of President Abraham Lincoln.

3 comments:

Laura H said...

Sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. My husband was laid off in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Its hard. Hang in there.

I'm usual not tempted by non fiction but yesterday I was watching a show on PBS about Lincoln. It was pretty interesting. I might give this one a try.

Laurel Ann said...

Jeanette - no other way to contact you through your blog so I am leaving a message in this post. You have been nominated for the Excessively Diverting Blog Award by Austenprose.

http://austenprose.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/the-excessively-diverting-blog-award-new-nominations/

Congratulations. I always look forward to your next book review or recommendation. Thank you so much.

Cheers, Laurel Ann

Gamila said...

I really like little photobook autobiographies, though I haven't read this one specifically. I read two by candance flemming, scapbook biographies and loved them both, especially the one about Ben Franklin. They are fun, informative, and entertaining. Maybe I'll have to try this one out too.