Monday, January 26, 2009

ALA Awards

I've been expressing excitement about this mornings ALA awards ceremony for a few weeks now. Last night my husband pointed out that I was acting towards the ALA announcement the way most people act when anticipating the Oscars or some such other award. Maybe so but the ALA awards are so much more interesting than any movie award, in my not so humble opinion. Can you imagine a red carpet event with a bunch of authors and librarians? Priceless!
It is not like I spent all morning watching the clock and waiting for the webcast to start. Oh wait. I did do that...

So! Who were this years winners? There were a few surprises, at least for me, and some titles that I would have loved to see with a shiny sticker on them did not get one.

I'll just cover a few of the awards, there are more than a dozen. Check out the ALA Website for more awards information.

Newbery Medal:
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
I'd heard some people predicting this would win or at least get an honor. I have not read it yet but will be doing so soon.

Newbery Honors:
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt. There is really not much surprise here. There has been a lot of buzz about this one. My review.








Savvy by Ingrid Law. I am so stinking happy that this book won an honor. I loved it! I heard a lot of nay-sayers proclaiming that it could not win but it did so ha! :-) My review.







The other honor books are The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle and After Tupac and Foster D by Jacqueline Woodson. I have not read either of these yet but will be getting to them soon.

What an amazing variety of titles. I must admit that I am a little disappointed that Chains did not win an award but at least Laurie Halse Anderson was awarded the Margaret A. Edwards Award, given to an author who makes a significant and lasting contribution to children's literature.


Printz Award Winner
:
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

Printz Honor Books
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II, The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. My somewhat short and vague review
can be found in this post. Not my favorite book from last year but not horrible.


Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. I have heard wonderful things about this book and have a copy of it sitting in my book basket. I am going to have to read it next. Kinda funny, my son is very scared of this book's cover. Every time he sees it he asks me if we can take it back to the library.

Nation by Terry Pratchett. Another one I've heard good buzz about but have not been able to read yet.




I will put together another post with some more highlights of the awards later. My poor kids have not gotten much attention from mommy this morning and they are getting fussy.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Well I, for one, am excited about your excitment! (that was the strangest thing I've ever written) BUT, I was happy to see the Newberry Awards, as I had not heard them yet.
Thanks.

Debbie said...

And I would love a "Red Carpet Affair" for authors and books. Now that's something to get excited about!!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I had this on the calender forever! Like you I was way more excited about this than the oscars. Most of the time I have even heard of or seen half of the movies.