Monday, January 12, 2009

Greetings From Nowhere

Title: Greetings From Nowhere
Author: Barbara O'Connor
Genre: Juvenile
Pages: 200
Published:2008
Date Finished: 4 January 2009
My Rating: 4 Stars
Challenges: New Author, 100+, Library

The setting of the Great Smoky Mountains is what led me to pick up this book. I love the Smoky Mountains and have been trying to get my hands on as many books, fiction and non-fiction, about the area that I can. O'Connor did a fabulous job of making me wish I was back amongst the mountains again as I read Greetings from Nowhere.
The Sleepy Time Motel in North Carolina's Great Smokey Mountains has been Aggie's home for decades. After the death of her beloved husband, Harold, Aggie is unable to keep up with the demands of running the motel and keeping the bills paid on her own. Faced with selling the rundown motel and leaving her life in the mountains, Aggie feels a spark of hope for the return of the old days when troubled Kirby and his mother, happy Loretta and her loving parents and lonely Willow with her father, who wants to buy the motel, all show up at the motel at the same time, putting more signatures on the guest register than she has seen in months.
We come to see the unique effect that each of the characters will have on each other as the story unfolds through the shifting points of view of Aggie, Kirby, Loretta and Willow. In a rather short, character driven book, Barbara O'Connor has managed to pack a lot of emotion and connection between this group of eclectic characters. Greetings from Nowhere is a quiet, simply told story that will just pull you into the lives of these characters. This is one of those books that I can't wait for my kids to get a few more years on them so they can read it.

5 comments:

J. Kaye said...

Love the YouTube added. Great touch! Let me ask. You said you can't wait for your kids to get older. What age is this book for?

Jeanette said...

J. Kaye, I am not a professional teacher, librarian or publisher but I would say this book is for 9+. My oldest is not even 4 yet. :-) I'm already compiling a nice list of books for me to share with them when they are older.

J. Kaye said...

So maybe a middle grader then. I'll be on the look out for it. Thank you!

DW Golden said...

Sounds like an interesting plot, teaching children how to handle unique situations.

DW Golden
Fly with Fairies in a new young adult novel: Purple Butterflies

Belle @ MsBookish said...

This sounds like a good book. I haven't visited the Great Smoky Mountains area but it sounds lovely.