Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Red Leather Diary

Title: The Red Leather Diary
Author: Lily Koppel
Genre: Non-Fiction, Biography
Pages: 321
Date Finished:26 October 2008
My Rating: 1

The premise of this book is so promising. Lily Koppel finds an old diary of Florence Wolfson's from the early 1930s in a dumpster, reads it, tracks down Florence and then writes about it. How intriguing, right? Unfortunately, this book was very poorly executed. The story was very disjointed, moving back and forth in time so much, even within a single paragraph that I had no idea what was going on or how old Florence was half the time. On one hand this book was very descriptive but on the other it was very boring.
I also just could not get myself to care about spoiled and self-indulgent Florence or her exploits with both men and women. I had to push myself to finish this one.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Yay! You joined Book Blogs and now I know where your blog is...not just goodreads. I'm so excited! You are going straight into my GR.

Oh, and I hated this book too.

Laura H said...

I thingk i will skip this one. Have you read The Shack. I hear alot of hype of that one???

Beth F said...

How disappointing! The premise sounds so great. I won't be running out for this. THanks for the review.

And thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I hated it, too. Pedestrian writing -- "books for young readers" in tone. And a loathsome main character -- spoiled, selfish, pretentious and humorless.