Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mr. Darcy's Diary

Title: Mr. Darcy's Diary
Author: Amanda Grange
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 329
Date Finished: 19 Oct 2008
My Rating: 3 Stars

In Mr. Darcy's Diary Amanda Grange has attempted to give us the events of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's point of view through diary entries. In so doing Grange has created a quick and mildly entertaining read.
I did not feel that Grange really added much to Mr. Darcy that we did not already know from Pride and Prejudice. I think the best Darcy is the one Jane Austen herself gave us and Grange lifted large chunks of Austen's novel and inserted them into this retelling.
I often found Darcy's character to be a bit flat and tedious. His feelings for Elizabeth kept somersaulting back and forth. One page he is determined he would no longer think of Elizabeth and then the next page was all about Elizabeth, followed by another passage where Darcy would state that he was glad he was no longer thinking about Elizabeth. I suppose the author was doing this in order to show just how infatuated by Elizabeth he was, even if he was not admitting it to himself. The frequent repeating of this sequence just got tedious.
The other tedious bit was the over use of the word satirical, especially towards the end of the novel. Nobody could say anything to Darcy without him receiving a satirical look from Elizabeth. I was ready to hurl the book every time I read the word.
I did really enjoy Grange's treatment of some of the more minor Pride and Prejudice characters, particularly Georgiana Darcy and Anne De Bourgh, in fact the treatment of Anne De Bourgh was probably my favorite part of the book.
Overall, the book was enjoyable but after reading books like these I just want to re-read, once again, Austen's original work.

1 comment:

Laurel Ann said...

Retellings of classic characters is such a challenge. There are a few other books written from Darcy's perspective out there. I really enjoyed Mr. Darcy's Diary (same title ironically) by Maya Slater. It is currently available in the UK, but will be released in North America in June 2009 with a new title, The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy: A Novel. I think it will receive some attention and praise.

Cheers, Laurel Ann