Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

Title: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction
Pages: 498
Date Finished: 18 Oct 2008

While I am sure I am not the last person out there to read this book, I did join the party a little late. Only, I don't think it is much of a party. After I turned the last page of this book I thought, "Really? This is the book that has everyone from pre-teen girls to well adjusted adult women practically swooning? I don't get it." I didn't hate the book but I certainly did not love it and I just don't get the fanatical reactions of so many other people. To each their own, I suppose.
From the very beginning I found Bella to be a very unlikeable character/narrator. She was whiny and selfish and boring. I honestly wondered if that was on purpose. Surely, no one would write such an annoying, pathetic character and expect the reader to like her. But apparently I was wrong.
This book really could have used a lot more editing than it received. A huge chunk of the book could have been reduced down to about 20 pages and not changed the story at all. Do I really need to know what Bella's favorite color is? There was way too much of Bella and Edward sitting around somewhere and talking. I was hopeful some of what they were jabbering on about would end up being important to the plot but no,it was just the two sitting around and talking. The book got really boring and if I was not reading it for the 24 hour read-a-thon I probably would not have kept going. Nothing was happening and then all of the sudden towards the very end it was like Meyer realized that maybe there should be some plot or action and threw a little something together.
I also do not get the connection between Bella and Edward. Nor do I understand why their relationship is being considered as some kind of epic love story. I thought the relationship was just a little unhealthy and weird. More of a lust story than a love story. Edward watching Bella sleep at night? Umm, creepy much? Bella clearly only liked Edward for his looks, because that is all she talked about, and I never did understand why Edward liked Bella other than the fact that she smelled really appetizing.
Well, now when I get asked if I've read Twilight I can say yes. I now know what all the hullabaloo is about, even if I don't get it.


It was completely unintentional on my part to post this on day that the Twilight movie premiered. It was just the next book in my stack to review and I actually had time to do so today.

9 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Phew! Thank you! I never got past the first page when I got it out of the library, and now I don't feel bad about it at all. Just left out. :)

Charlotte said...

I read this book from a book blog recommendation before I found out how popular it was. In fact no library in my county even had it to loan out.

I was flabbergasted when I found out it had a fanatical following. I liked it, but not like that.

I thought Edward was creepy and controlling, too. Whenever I hear soneone say they are wishing for their Edward I think, "Really? I couldn't have gotten away fast enough if I had dated someone like him." Not a fan of Jacob either.

But I am going to go watch the movie sometime next week. I found the plot entertaining enough to do that.

Marilyn said...

hahahaha. It's been awhile since I posted-but I am in COMPLETE agreement with you. All my girls have been hysterical over this..I'm wondering why??? (I read book 1 too-couldn't get into the next one) I went to see the movie today and I actually laughed out loud several times during it-it was a decent movie-but kind of low budget.

Chain Reader said...

I think that even people who loved the book would agree with a lot of the things you said. (Like me.) I was entertained and caught up in the romance, but particularly bothered by the fact that their relationship was based on nothing meaningful. Do they have anything in common? I was not as annoyed by Bella as you and a lot of others have been. (Maybe I'm too much like her--how embarrasing!)I'm going to see the movie tomorrow. I have such low expectations--I don't see how it can come across as anything but corny on the big screen.
Sorry for such a long comment! All of this, and I really did find the books entertaining! But I would have no desire to cuddle with someone who is as cold as stone :-)!

Kim said...

So funny. I enjoyed the books but had a lot of the same thoughts that you had. If you didn't like Bella in Twilight I wouldn't even attempt the next one. She is really annoying in the second one. I don't quite understand the fanaticism either but I think Twilight is a fun, escapist type book.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Well, at least you know about it now! Are you going to keep going?

Leslie said...

I think you know what I think about Twilight...right? There were a lot of times I thought (and said aloud to my husband) "Where was the editor?" I have heard people say how amazing it was the Meyer just did this with no "professional" training. But she was an English major!!! And even if she wasn't a professional...when she became a published author...she was a professional and she did have an editor who didn't do the job! I'm glad people are reading...but I can't believe how crazy people are about it!

Cynthia said...

I know exactly what you are saying. All six of my kids LOVED this book (ages 7 to 16, I know, my 7 y/o is a little mature...)
But I never understood the obsession! ANd then on a whim my husband decided we should watch the movie with the kids since my 14 y/o was spending 4 hours camped in 34 degree weather to be first in line to buy tickets.

BIG MISTAKE!! I thought I was going to have to strangle every one of those 14 year old screaming girls!

I am so glad that someone else felt the same way!! I will not be bothering with the rest of the books!

Angi said...

You ARE the first I've heard that's had this opinion! And believe me, we've gotten a lot of opinions at our blog (teenlitreview.blogspot.com)!