Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Finds












Splendid Solution: Jonas Salk and the Conquest of Polio by Jeffrey Kluger
I think the title pretty much tells you what this book is about. Jonas Salk was racing against time trying to beat the increasing epidemic of polio. When he achieved his medical breakthrough he became a hero and cultural icon to a whole generation of people, yet I'd never heard his name until I came across this book.











Night of Flames byDouglas W. Jacobson
A novel that takes place during WWII in Europe.










Can't Wait to get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg
This is the book for book club next month.











The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan
Again, I think the title reveals enough of what this book is about.

More Friday Finds can be found at Should Be Reading.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

I've heard good things about The Worst Hard Times -- a timely and relevant book, unfortunately, for our current economic situation.

My Friday Find is here.

Betty said...

I've been wanting to read Fannie Flagg for a while now... This one looks interesting.

gautami tripathy said...

You sure found some good reads!

Check it out!

My Two Blessings said...

The night of flames looks good. Thanks

Robin of mytwoblessings

Kim said...

I have read The Worst Hard Times and I found it very moving. There is so much about that era that I didn't know about. You might also like, Once Upon a Town: the miracle of the north platte canteen by Bob Greene. I really liked this one, set in the middle of rural midwest and how this town rallied during the hard times to support our troops! Very inspirational.

Your Jonas Salk book looks fascinating. I am always looking for good memoirs/biographies.

*smiles and thanks for visiting me*
Kim