Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ex Libris

Title: Ex Libris, Confessions of a Common Reader
Author: Anne Fadiman
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 162
Date Finished: 15 Oct 2008

After reading this book of essays on books and reading I don't think I would classify Anne Fadiman as a common reader. In fact, I found the tone of many of the essays to be a bit arrogant and elitist. I love books and I read a lot but this book made me feel ignorant about books and reading.
There were a few essays I enjoyed but overall this book felt too academic and stuffy for me.

3 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I thought my family was nerdy until I read this book. :) She's certainly not an author I would be comfortable talking to, but I enjoyed most of the essays nonetheless. But I wonder if she ever even read children's books growing up.

Stephanie said...

I haven't read this one, but I've read books like it, and I know what you mean. I think a lot of authors who pen books like this like to show off the highbrow quality of the books they read, whereas we readers want to read the thoughts of someone who reads Shakespeare along with Twilight and The Da Vinci Code. I love good literature, but sometimes you just need some quality trash. :)

Lisa said...

I have this on my TBR, and for some reason haven't felt the need to dive in. Your review kinda agrees with my impressions of it.