Monday, October 20, 2008

Read-a-Thon Wrap Up

I am kinda slow getting this up. After crashing in the early hours of Sunday morning I was pretty much out of it for the rest of Sunday. I really don't do good without sleep.

Here is the end of event survey:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 3 am (my time). At 3:00, 8:00 seemed so very far away. I also started thinking about the fact that I had to go to church in the morning and that my husband had places he had to be in the afternoon which meant I had to take care of the kids so no catching up on sleep. I gave up and went to sleep.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I read Savvy by Ingrid Law and it was really interesting and kept me reading despite my sleepiness.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Not really. This was my first time participating and I thought it was great.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? See my last answer. :-) I do want to thank Dewey and all the other hosts and helpers and cheerleaders for doing all this work. I had a lot of fun.

5. How many books did you read? Finished 2 and started a 3rd.

6. What were the names of the books you read? Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Savvy by Ingrid Law. I also started Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange. (That turned out to be a mistake because it was pretty boring and put me to sleep!)

7. Which book did you enjoy most? Savvy

8. Which did you enjoy least? Mr. Darcy's Dairy

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? N/A

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I had a lot of fun and I am kinda disappointed that I gave up and went to sleep but it is difficult for me to stay up all night when I have such young kids and having church responsibilities the next day also made things tricky. I'd like to try again. We will have to see how things look the next time around. If I can't read again than maybe I will try to be a cheerleader.

Some of my other thoughts:
I did not participate in the mini-challenges, which I thought I would. I was so into reading my books and clocking reading time. I wonder if I'd taken the time to do some mini-challenges if I would have held out longer?
I also did not visit as many other readers as I thought I would. Again, I was really into getting some books finished and did not want to take too many breaks aside from the breaks I needed to take to post updates and help my husband with the kids.

Final Stats:
Title of books read: Twilight, Savvy and 96 pages of Mr. Dacry's Diary
Total # of pages read:936
Hours stayed awake during read-a-thon: 19
Total time spent reading: just under 13 hours
Number of Mt Dew Live Wires consumed: 4

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Way to go Jeanette! I am amazed!