Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life

Title: The Prairie Girls Guide to Life
Author: Jennifer Worick
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages:200
Date Finished: 30 September 2008
My Rating: 2 Stars

Eh, I was just not impressed with this little book. Apparently, the author did not grow up on the prairie or even a farm, although she did live close to her grandparent's farm. She was trying to evoke the feel of women on the prairie while writing about growing up in the Michigan suburbs during the 1970s. It just did not work.
The book is a hodgepodge of ideas and crafts but none of them seemed especially unique or especially pioneerish. Some sections seemed, I don't know, unnecessary? Like telling me that I need patience and educated guesses to predict the weather and that to go sledding I will need a sled and a hill. You don't say!
There were 2 or 3 projects that I think I might like to try but I think I will have to turn to another source for better directions because the ones in this book were lacking. I don't think I am going to learn to quilt with only a few pages of instructions. I have had a hankering to try my hand at making some rock candy since I read this, so I guess it was not a complete waste of time.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

Thanks so much for this review. I could have been tempted by the title of the book. I think I'll stay away.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

You mean I need a hill to go sledding? Darn, I never would have guessed.