Monday, October 20, 2008

The Candy Shop War

Title: The Candy Shop War
Author: Brandon Mull
Genre: Juvenile, Fantasy
Pages: 409
Date Finished: 21 Sep 2008
My Rating: 2 Stars

I generally don't read read a lot of fantasy or sci-fi books but I am willing to expand my reading horizons when I hear good things about a book or author. I've heard good things about Brandon Mull so I decided to read this book when I saw it at the library. Perhaps this book is an enjoyable book for fans of the genre but for me it fell flat.
I did think the concept was very creative. Magical candy that can make you fly, jawbreakers that make you unbreakable, a candy war between rival confectioners, it sounded interesting but I found myself bored throughout much of the story. A book that I thought would take me only a day or two to read stretched to four because I was not all that interested in it. Things that bothered me other than being bored? There was a lot of descriptive violence for a Juvenile/Middle Grade reader and in my opinion the group of kids in the story were not to bright. The story just did not come across as believable. I think a good fantasy story should seem believable even if it is not realistic.
But then again, you can feel free to discount everything I say about it because like I said I am generally not a fan of this genre so I suppose I am difficult to impress.

7 comments:

chan said...

Did you like Harry Potter? You should read Mull's Fablehaven series. I really really liked all three books!

Chain Reader said...

I love fantasy books, but every once in a while one just doesn't click for me--usually because it doesn't do a good job of making me believe in the unbelievable. They may be imaginative, but the plot has to be good.

Becky said...

Hi, I found your blog through a couple of links.
I just checked out this book from the library. I've recently started reading fantasy and enjoyed the first two books of the Fablehaven series and just checked out the third book.

Jeanette said...

Yes. I like Harry Potter. That series is a prime example of believable even if it is not realistic.
I have not read the Fablehaven series. This was the first book by Mull that I have read. I might still try the Fablehaven series one day.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Having met Brandon Mull a couple of times I read the first book of Fablehaven and found it just okay. But I'm willing to keep trying!

Kim said...

I haven't read anything by Brandon Mull yet but I plan to. My 9-year-old really liked the first and second Fablehaven. I've read good and bad reviews by others so I'll try to go into it with an open mind.

lauren said...

fablehaven was awesome!!!!!!