Thursday, October 9, 2008

Anne of Windy Poplars

Title: Anne of Windy Poplars
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Genre: YA, Fiction
Pages: 258
Date Finished: 18 September 2008
My Rating: 4 Stars

After reading Anne of the Island, my favorite book in the Anne series, Anne of Windy Poplars always seems to fall a little flat for me.
Anne and Gilbert are engaged and while Gilbert is off at medical school, Anne has taken a job as principal at Summerside High School.
Much of this book is made up of letters from Anne to Gilbert. I just wish there was more of Gilbert in this story like maybe some of his letters to Anne. L.M. Montgomery rarely wrote much from the hero's side in her books, something I have always felt was lacking in her stories.
This book is populated with the typical cast of eccentric and unusual characters but with the exceptions of Aunt Chatty, Aunt Kate and Rebecca Dew, I did not find them as delightful or as memorable as some of Montgomery's other creations. Anne of Windy Poplars is the book that features the Pringles but that conflict is neatly wrapped up within the first half of the book.
Honestly, after reading this book, I was left thinking Anne was some kind of angel sent to fix everyones life in Summerside. There was no one she met who did not have some kind of problem that Anne was able to sort and set right. A happy ending for everyone.

4 comments:

cessie said...

Since I visited Prince Edward Island and LM Montgomery's sight I kept being intrigued by this writer. She is/was not that well-known in our country but I do love Anne of Green Gables myself.
So I did not know this creation of her and it interest me. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I love all of these books, and I've always enjoyed all of the little stories and sub-plots in this one. In fact, I'm reading it right now. I would love to visit PEI someday.

Chain Reader said...

Reading this series is part of my near future reading plans. I have never read beyond Anne of Avonlea and I just got Anne of the Island from the library. I can't wait!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I reread this series last year up until the last two because although I owned the last book I didn't have the one before that. I keep reminding myself that I actually didn't finish. Now I'll just have to start over from the beginning.