Wednesday, October 15, 2008

24 Hour Read-a-Thon

I am really excited that I have signed up to participate in the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon this weekend. I could not participate last time because my husband was working weekends and there is no way I can read for 24 hours with a 3 and a 1 year old around. Lucky for me, my husband is not working weekends anymore and is going to take the kids and disappear for most of the day Saturday.
All the details for the Read-a-Thon can be found at The Hidden Side of a Leaf.
Here is the stack of books I have put together. I know I won't read all of these but I wanted a good size stack to keep me going in case one of them starts to put me to sleep. I also have a house full of books and a library across the street in case I need even more variety. Most of the books I have are Juvenile/Middle Grade readers because I thought it would be good to have shorter, less dense books to read. And yes, I might even finally succumb to peer pressure and start reading Twilight (we'll see).
Dewey has a few suggestions for charities to donate to but I picked one that is not on her list. I will be donating $5 for every hour I read to the Perpetual Education Fund. If anyone is interested in sponsoring me you can e-mail me or leave a comment on this post. You can sponsor me for any amount and for either the number of hours I read, number of pages, or number of books I read. Or you can just leave me encouraging comments throughout the day and night to help keep me going!
Things kick off at 8 AM in my time zone on Saturday. I'll be posting updates here and on my Goodreads account which updates to my twitter account so you have several places you can go to follow my progress. :-)

10 comments:

Chain Reader said...

Good luck! That's a great idea to donate to the Perpetual Education Fund.

cessie said...

Wow, I love the idea!!
Won't be able to participate this time, but will definitely keep it in mind for next time!
Good luck though and hope you will enjoy the reading!

Jules said...

Good luck! I'm also in the read-a-thon. Here's a list of my books I will be reading.

http://juliebooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/24-hour-read-thon.html

Leslie said...

Sounds like so much fun! And how brave!!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

The Perpetual Education Fund is already a great organization that I support, so count me in on the sponsorship. I'd like to sponsor you at a penny a page. A penny doesn't seem like much, but it adds up! I won't be around much on Saturday to encourage you but I'll try to hope on and see how you are doing.

Trish said...

Yay! Glad you'll be doing this. I just found out yesterday that I'll be able to participate at least part of the time and am so excited!

Nymeth said...

I'm one of the read-a-thon helpers and I've been visiting participants to make sure they don't forget it's this Saturday already. It's clear that you haven't, and it's great to see how excited you are about it :D

Danielle said...

Have fun with this! I would love to join in, but I know I can't devote so much time to reading over the weekend (though I'd love to) as I am always catching up on the weekends. Also, I'm not sure I could stay awake so long! :) Have fun reading!!

alisonwonderland said...

great idea to use Twitter to track progress. i'm now "following" you! (i didn't know that one can link goodreads and Twitter. i'll have to check that out after the read-a-thon.)

also a great idea to donate to the Perpetual Education Fund!

Ritsumei said...

What fun! It looks like you were off to a good start... hope that you end strong too! Too bad that I didn't know about this ahead of time. I might have tried it. I'd love to just sit and read for a day!