Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reading with my Kids-Eric Carle

I feel as if we have been overrun with Eric Carle books in recent weeks. It started with The Very Hungary Caterpillar, which Red now has memorized and likes to act out, and has just grown from there. I think we have 8 Eric Carle books checked out from the library right now. What is it about these classic books that appeals so much to my son? The illustrations? The repetitive lines used in many of the books? The animals? I think it is probably all those things combined.

Here is a sampling of our current favorites:

The Very Hungary Caterpillar
"This all-time favorite not only follows the very hungry caterpillar as it grows from egg to cocoon to beautiful butterfly, but also teaches the days of the week, counting, good nutrition and more. Striking pictures and cleverly die-cut pages offer interactive fun."



The Mixed-Up Chameleon
"Hilarious pictures show what happens when a bored chameleon wishes it could be more like other animals, but is finally convinced it would rather just be itself."





The Grouchy Ladybug
"A grouchy ladybug who is looking for a fight challenges everyone it meets regardless of their size or strength. How this bumptious bug gets its comeuppance and learns the pleasures to be gained by cheerfulness and good manners is an amusing lesson in social behavior."


The Very Busy Spider
"With the use of raised printing, this innovative book adds the sense of touch to vision and hearing as ways to understand and enjoy the strikingly designed illustrations and the memorable story. Various farm animals try to divert a busy little spider from spinning her web, but she persists and produces a thing of both beauty and usefulness."


Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
"Beautiful illustrations are enhanced by dramatic fold-out pages in this moving and imaginative tale of a father’s love for his daughter. Monica’s father fulfills her request by bringing the moon down from the sky after it’s small enough to carry, but it continues to change in size."



You can visit Eric Carle's website to learn more about this writer and illustrator. (My son also loves the books that Carle illustrated for Bill Martin's Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?, Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?, and Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
Also, visit 5 Minutes for Books for more Children's Classic Picture Books.

11 comments:

Debbi said...

We just read a very hungry caterpillar tonight for bedtime! I love his books! My 4 year old thinks they are so funny - especially the part in that book where the caterpillar gets a tummy ache.

North and South is next up on my reading list. Didn't you say that you loved it? I loved the movie.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

My boys and I check out the same books over and over from the library that I keep asking myself how come we haven't bought them yet. I have to admit that we haven't done much Eric Carle though.

Michele said...

We don't own the hungry caterpillar yet. But my daughter does love Brown Bear and Polar Bear. I definately need to check out the others that you've listed. Thanks!

stephanie said...

I love, love, love his pictures. I think I check those out for my girls just because of that, but we also love his stories as well. :)

Michelle said...

The Very Hungry Caterpillar was the first book my son wore out from looking at too often. But I think chewing on it certainly helped as well..

Leslie said...

I'm am such a fan of Eric Carle. They are just fantastic in every way possible!!!

Melanie said...

I love using Carle's books for storytimes at my library. Have you read Mr. Seahorse? I love that one.

Julie said...

Brown Bear is the fave around our house! Btw, love the pic of your reading spot, can I come over sometime LOL?

Alyce said...

I had forgotten about the caterpillar book! It's so hard to get my 4 year old interested in picture books. For the longest time he has only liked books about trucks (most of them reference books for older kids). Finally the last few months he's been wanting picture books. Hopefully soon I will be able to introduce him to some of the classics. Unfortunately I have to be crafty. He's got a mind of his own and won't check out a book if I pick it out for him. He has to pick it out himself.

Marilyn said...

Oh my son LOVED The Hungry Caterpillar (he is now 20 yrs old on a mission!) He used to say I wanna read The Huuuuunnnnnngry Caterpillar

Huskerbabe said...

And if you are a sewing person, there are the cutest fabrics out now with the Eric Carle designs. My local shop has them and they are adorable.