Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Authors: Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 277
Date Finished:9 September 2008
My Rating: 5 Stars

I loved this book. Loved it! It is at the top of my list for not only my favorite book read this year but also one of my favorite books ever. This is going to be one of those reviews where I go and gush a lot because I just loved this book!
This is the kind of book that I had a feeling I would love even before I turned the first page.
Here is the blurb from the publisher because I am having a difficult time figuring out how to adequately summarize this book.
" '. . . I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.'
January, 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she's never met, Dawsey Adams, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name in a book?
As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of Dawsey and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—a book club born as a spur-of-the- moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts an outstanding cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.
Juliet begins a remarkable conversation in letters with the Society's members, learning about their lives, their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on all of them. Over time, and despite a demanding and dramatic life in London, she finds herself drawn to the self-contained Dawsey Adams, and to the story of Elizabeth, a young woman whose bright spirit and strength live on in the daughter she left behind when she was sent to a concentration camp. Juliet knows she has found the subject of her book, and possibly much more, and sets sail for Guernsey, changing the course of her life forever."

Have I mentioned that I loved this book?
The style, the plot, the history, the love of books and the literary references, the quirky and eccentric characters, even the title and cover, I loved it all. This book is witty and charming, heartbreaking and serious.
One thing that I really loved about this book was that it was so fun and charming yet still conveyed the horrors of the war and occupation without getting bogged down with graphic violence and gore like some other books I've recently read about WWII.

If you are one of the few people who have not already done so, you must read this book!
I fell in love with this book and was so sad when it ended because I wanted more of these delightful characters.
Some excerpts from the book:

Co-author, Annie Barrows discusses the book:



13 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I've never heard of this book and I'm excited to read it.

Christie said...

I'm always looking for good book recommendations. This looks like it will be right up my alley. Thanks for sharing! (I found your thru Mormon Moms Who Blog.)

Irish said...

I totally agree with you ... This book is now one of my all time favourite books that I will re-read and re-read ... Loved it :)

Anna said...

I just bought this book. I've been dying to read it, and I hope I love it as much as you do.

--Anna
http://diaryofaneccentric.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Sounds like a must read! Another one that I am looking forward to getting my hands on will be released this week. Letters Between Us by Linda Overman. A book about friendship and endurance.

Laura H said...

I need to check this book out.

Trish said...

I've heard so much about this book! I guess I need to get on the ball and read it already.

Cary's said...

I just passed this book onto my mother after reading it. I totally agree with it joining the most loved books. It really surprised me with how good it was.

Chain Reader said...

Adding it to my TBR list!

cessie said...

Wow...this book sounds great!
I love Guernsey and letters and books and it all sounds very interesting! And I agree even the cover is beautiful.
I will definitely look out for this book!

Annell said...

This was such a wonderful book!! I just finished reading it for the second time and loved it even more. I love your blog, by the way.

Laura H said...

I checked this book out and finished it last night. What a great book. I love a book that makes me laugh. Have you ever read anything else by these authors??? Thanks for the recommend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra said...

I really liked this book too, glad you enjoyed it.