Saturday, September 6, 2008

Book Stacks

I am going to do my book stack a little different this week. Instead of sharing what is in my currently reading, reading next, and finished stacks, I am going to share my stack of library books. I am doing this because, well, I am still reading the same two books I was reading two weeks ago. I went on vacation and did not read the whole time I was gone and I've been slow getting back into things since I got home.

I go into the library for 2 books and decide to have a "quick browse" and then I come out of the library with 10 books. Chances that I will read all of these before they have to be returned in 3 weeks are pretty slim.
Hearing the Voice of the Lord by Gerald N. Lund (I have to read this one next because it is an inter-library loan which means no renewals.)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Shakespeare by Bill Bryson
The President's House by Margaret Truman
Home by Choice by Brenda Hunter
A Flaw in the Blood by Stephanie Barron
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel
The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull
Waiting for Normal by Leslie Conner
Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas
New Mercies by Sandra Dallas
The Diary of Mattie Spencer by Sandra Dallas
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice
A Woman's Place by Lynn Austen
Arthur and George by Julian Barnes
I think that is all of them....

Oh, and one more thing, I lost my library card! I feel so stranded and empty. Okay, so not really because I can still check things out if I have my ID and it is only the card to one of the 3 libraries I go to. But here is the weird part, I lost it at the library. I went in to turn in a small stack of books and pick up some holds and I slipped my card into the bag with the books going to be returned. After I dropped the books I looked in my bag to make sure the card was still in there, that I did not accidentally drop it with the books, because we don't want that happening. Assured that my card was still there, I went on to do some browsing and pick up my holds. I was in line and started fishing around in my bag for my library card when I could not find it! I walked around the library again, looking at the floor to see if it had somehow slipped out of my bag but did not find it. I told the lady at the desk that I might have dropped it in with my books even though I was sure it was in my bag after I dropped the books. Long story short, she went back to look but said the return bin was too full and she told the bookshelvers to keep an eye out for a card. It is just crazy because I swear it was in my bag! Either my eyes deceived me or some library fairy stole it away from me because I've been using it too much?

So, how many books do you have out from the library right now? What are they? (if they are not too numerous to list...)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'd feel lost without my library card as well. (and I have library cards in three different counties!) I have 10 out at the moment, and never leave with just the two I went in for..

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
2 chicklit books which I started and couldn't finished
a YA book by Sarah Dessen
and 2 others I can't remember!!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Let's just say that my library card is currently maxed out at 30 and I've had to send my husband in with his card to pick up more holds. So yes, I know what you mean!

Jeanette said...

Michelle-You have some really good books out right now! Very impressive.

Natasha-You have a 30 item limit on your card? That is low. I have 100 item limit. My son would max out the 30 in just one week and there would be nothing left for me.

Leslie said...

So...I don't actually have any books checked out from the library just now...I have too many that I "borrowed" (read stole) from my mom. When I get through them...I'll be back in the library!

Trish said...

I've heard such great things about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Honestly, the title is a little bit of a turn off for me. :) Too long!