Monday, August 11, 2008

Faith, Hope and Charity

Title: Faith, Hope and Charity: Inspiration from the Lives of General Relief Society Presidents
Authors: Janet Peterson and LaRene Gaunt
Genre: LDS Non-Fiction
Pages:313
Date Finished: 4 August 2008
My Rating: 5

From the book:
"Since the day in 1842 when the Prophet Joseph Smith 'turned the key' in behalf of the women of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, signaling the organization of the Relief Society, fifteen women have served as general presidents of the organization. From Emma Hale Smith, the first Relief Society president, to Bonnie D. Parkin, who from 2002 to 2007 led more than five million Relief Society sisters in 165 nations across the earth, Faith, Hope, and Charity tells the stories of the Relief Society presidents of the LDS Church."

I really enjoyed reading about the lives of these women who served as General Relief Society presidents. They all had very different stories but common themes of faith, service and love for others ran through all the stories. I especially enjoyed reading about the women "in the middle" whom I had not previously heard much about. Most of us are familiar with Emma Smith and Eliza R. Snow and with the women who have served in recent years but it was interesting to read about Louise Y. Robison, Amy Brown Lyman and Clarissa Smith Williams, women who served during the 1930s through the 1950s.
I enjoyed reading about Louise Y. Robison because I felt like I could identify with her. She was considered the ugly duckling of her family and was very shy but still a very effective leader. I also felt like I gained a lot from reading about Barbara W. Winder (I did not realize Susan W. Tanner was her daughter). It was interesting to read about why and how she changed the curriculum for Relief Society in the 1980s and I was impressed with her compassion and commitment to the Gospel.
This book really was just full of inspiration and I finished reading it filled with a desire to stand a little taller as a daughter of God and to do more to reach out with compassion towards others.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good read. I was looking for a Sunday book to read. I try not to read just any book on sundays.

I really doubt that you are the ugly duckling or shy. I'd say more of a refined person. with excellant manners and concern for others around you. Just because a person is not loud and over barriing does not make them shy. Just more respectful.

Janelle said...

I would like this book. I also read your review on Hattie Big Sky, my girls are begging to go to the book store today, so I'll have to pick it up. I normally really like the Newberry Honorees too, so I like that you read all of them in a given year. Thanks for commenting, I'll be back here for more of your reviews!

Karlene said...

Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.