Friday, August 8, 2008

Cankered Roots

Title: Cankered Roots
Author: G.G. Vandagriff
Genre: LDS Fiction, Mystery
Pages:227
Date Finished: 26 July 2008
My Rating: 2 Stars

I don't have much to say about this book because frankly, I did not enjoy it all that much.
Cankered Roots is the story of Alex Campbell and her search for answers to her past. Alex has not seen or spoken to her parents in years and after confronting them about the "family secret" her father is murdered. Alex and her friend/business partner begin to unravel the secret through genealogical research in order to catch the murderer.
The characters were flat and I often found myself wondering what their motivations were for the actions they took. Much of the plot was farcical and unbelievable. I found myself rolling my eyes at the way she portrayed the police and Vandagriff tried to heighten the suspense by bringing in a supposed connection to the mafia but it was poorly developed and far from suspenseful.
An interesting idea poorly executed.

2 comments:

Trish said...

I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you!! Hopefully the next one will be great. :)

Karlene said...

I've read good and bad comments about this book. The concept sounds interesting. Maybe I'll read it after I finish my mile high stack on my night stand. :) Thanks for the review.