Friday, August 29, 2008

Anne of the Island

Title: Anne of the Island
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Genre: Young Adult, Classics
Pages: 243
Date Finished: 9 August 2008
My Rating: 5 Stars

What can I say about this classic book? The third book in the Anne of Green Gables series, I think this is one of my favorites. Scratch that, I know it is one of my favorites. Possibly even my favorite of the whole series.
In Anne of the Island, Anne leaves Green Gables and Avonlea to attend Redmond College in Kingsport. The novel follows Anne's years at Redmond and her frequent trips back home to Avonlea as she transitions from girlhood to womanhood. Anne is more mature in this book but she is still very much the same Anne with her "scope for imagination."
This book has it all. Laughter, tears and love.

Laughter
- Philippa Gordon is a riot. I love this character and thought she was the perfect addition to Anne's circle of friends.
The cat, the cat, the poor stray cat. I laugh out loud every time I read about the girls attempts to kill that poor stray cat.

Tears
-The death of Ruby Gillis just gets me every time. I also love that Anne finally gets to see the home she lived in with her parents before they died. Such a sweet addition to the story.

Love
-What would college be for a group of friends with out boys, boys, boys? How many times did Anne get proposed to and in how many crazy ways? I lost track. And really? Can you imagine if Anne married Royal Gardner? Ack!
I also really enjoyed reading about Philippa and her love triangles.
Gilbert! Sweet and true and faithful Gilbert. Oh how his first proposal just breaks my heart. And how happy I am when Anne finally realizes that what she feels for Gilbert goes beyond friendship.

I love this book! I really truly do!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I think I missed out by not reading these books when I was young. I've bought the first couple for my niece and I hope she reads them. I should really read them now myself as they seem pretty timeless.

Brittanie said...

I loved this book too. (The Whole Series :)

Dewey said...

What a pretty blog you have! I just started reading the Anne books earlier this year, and haven't reached this one yet. Looking forward to it, though, hearing that it's your favorite in the series.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Sigh -- Gilbert Blythe. There really isn't a whole lot more to say than that.

This book is my second favorite in the series. I really loved Rilla of Ingleside the best, followed by Anne of the Island, followed by Anne of Green Gables. I hope it's not terrible to rate them that way, but it's how I feel. :)

I also dearly love the Emily books.

Kim said...

It's been a long time since I've read these and it may be time to pick them up again soon. I've never read any of the Emily books that Tristi mentioned. I'll have to look into those.

Chain Reader said...

I have really got to read this whole series--I've only read the first two.

Sarah Mehrens said...

It's been years and years since I read this book - well, since I read the series. Lately I've been thinking about them again and have decided to re-read them. I'd forgotten how good they were... (sigh) Good review, thanks!

Framed said...

Thanks for the memories your review has called up. I loved this book also. But then I've loved them all. Someday, I'm going to sit down and re-read them all.