Monday, July 14, 2008

Home

Title: Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
Author: Julie Andrews
Genre: Memoir
Pages: 339
Date Finished: 28 June 2008
My Rating: 3 Stars

I really knew nothing about Julie Andrews before reading this book. I'd seen her musicals and a few of her movies and that was about it.
In this memoir Andrews tells the story of her early life going from a young vaudeville star in England to a Broadway celebrity.
For the most part, I thought it was an interesting book. While the book was written with the grace and dignity that Andrews has come to be known for I found it interesting to learn that she might not be as squeaky clean as the image she puts out there would have you believe. This was not your typical tawdry celebrity memoir filled with garish and explicit details but Andrews did not necessarily have the life I would have expected. Her growing up years were not easy and frankly I thought her mother was pretty horrendous. I was impressed by how complimentary and kind Andrews was in her descriptions of her mother. After all that happened she could have easily put her mother through the wringer but she didn't take that road.
I would recommend this book to fans of Julie Andrews or fans of the theater in general. There was a lot of history and lots of name dropping of people in the theater that I am completely unfamiliar with. She really lost my interest at times because of this.
The book also ended very abruptly. There were so many unfinished stories that I have to assume she is writing a second memoir. This one ends just after the birth of her daughter and as Andrews is leaving for California to start filming Mary Poppins. I was left wondering what happened to her family and what happened to her first husband? Throughout the book she talks about and refers to her second husband but when this book ended she was still happily married to her first husband so what happened? I can only hope my assumption about another memoir is true so that some of my questions can be answered.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, honey! Julie Andrews is definitely NOT squeaky clean. She did a lot of nudity in the 70's (mostly because she wanted to get rid of her clean persona), but she couldn't stop the fact that she would always be remembered as Mary Poppins. How could she? She was brilliant!
Oh, but it should be noted, too, that the woman swears like a sailor. And despite all this, I still love her. :)

Karlene said...

I've always admired her. Thanks for the review.