Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Daring Book for Girls


Title: The Daring Book for Girls
Authors: Andre J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz
Genre: Juvenile
Pages: 280
Date Finished: 26 June 2008
My Rating: 4 Stars
Daring Book for Girls website

This video is kinda cheesy but I like it because it shows the girl doing all these things with her mom and while I was reading this book I kept thinking how much fun it will be to do these things with my baby when she gets older. Even if she does not do these things with mom, I'm sure she'll do some of these things written about in this book and have fun doing them.

The Daring Book for Girls is a guide to fun and adventure for pre-teen through early teen girls. Often this book sent me on a trip down memory lane to my own childhood. All the versions of tag, slumber party games, sleep outs in the backyard and roller skating, amongst many other things, reminded me of all the fun things I did as a young girl.
When I first started reading I was marking all the things I liked with sticky notes. It did not take me long to realize that I was going to burn through a lot of sticky notes doing that.
I really enjoyed the sections on Queens of the Ancient World as well as the section on history of writing and writing in cursive italics and the section on how to be a spy. (Really to write all my favorite parts, I would have to pretty much copy the table of contents).
This book has just about everything; pressing flowers, math tricks, public speaking, rules of many games from softball to darts, info on finance and on and on.
There were a few things I didn't like, and it took some waffling for me to decide what to rate this book because of the few things I didn't like. The section on boys was lacking. I was not sure what they were trying to say. Are boys bad, good or neither? I was also pretty disappointed to see the book Like Water for Chocolate mentioned in a book for pre-teen girls. I've read this book and it has some pretty adult themes and is not a book that I think pre-teen girls should be reading.
Overall, I was totally into The Daring Book for Girls and thought it was lots of fun. I am going to be adding it to my library. Fun for me now and fun for my daughter in the future.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for your review...Every time I see this in a bookstore, I'm intrigued, but I should definitely pick up a copy for my little girl.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. thanks for doing it. I think for mature girls the themes in Like Water for Chocolate are good such as Latina women standing up for themselves and not thinking that loving a man will cure all problems. My basica attitude towards reading with children is reading the books first and being willing to talk about whatever come up. kids are pretty good about reading what they are ready for...also, there are so few books that show latina women as strong and smart that the sexuality stuff seems a small prince to pay (most of it was consensual and when it wasn't there was a point made-it didn't glorify it)...just my dos centavos!

Karlene said...

Sounds really fun. Thanks for the review.