Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dangerous Book for Boys

Title: The Dangerous Book for Boys
Authors: Conn and Hal Iggulden
Genre: Juvenile
Pages:270
Date Finished: 7 July 2008
My Rating: 3 Stars

The Dangerous Book for Boys is a book full of old-fashioned adventure, like making a bow and arrow, fishing, making a paper bomb and secret inks. It is a book full of useful skills like navigation, juggling, first aid, making cloth fireproof and tying knots. It is a book of inspirational stories like the Wright brothers and Antarctic explorers. It is a book about culture, sports, history and learning. It is a book that most young boys and some older boys probably can't resist.
I suppose it is because I am a girl, but I really enjoyed The Daring Book for Girls better than The Dangerous Book for Boys. I did get plenty of ideas for my son as he gets a little older and my husband actually flipped through it (he does not generally read books) and thought it was a pretty cool book. I just found myself getting a little bored at times and flipping through some sections. I think I enjoyed the sections on famous battles and extraordinary stories the most but that is because I enjoy reading about history.
This book is great to help boys come up with some fun Summer explorations or for anytime they need something fun to do (besides playing video games or watching TV). It is a book that will help boys and their parents remember what it is like to be young at heart.
As the back cover says, it is "the perfect book for every boy from eight to eighty."

9 comments:

Michelle said...

As a mother of two boys, I'm quite looking forward to them being old enough to appreciate this book. At almost three and four months though, there is no hurry!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

This looks like fun! When I was young (and still now) I enjoyed the American Girl's Handy Book and the counterpart for boys. It had so many cute old-fashioned ideas!

Aimee Kieffer, aka "Momzoo" said...

I bought this book for my husband for fathers day a year ago (we had just had our son after 4 girls) and he LOVES it! I love all the old fashioned idea, it is what boys should be doing instead of what they are doing now days.

Kim said...

I sounds like I need to look into both this book and "The Daring Book for Girls". With two boys and two girls we could really use these kinds of books in the house.

Chain Reader said...

My son would love this! I've seen it but never really knew what it was all about. Sounds cool!

Ronda's Rants said...

I love the title of your blog...that is the description of heaven!
This sounds like a good gift for my grandson.

Ginger said...

I enjoyed reading this book. It is VERY suspenseful and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through this book! This is a must read for anyone who likes Suspense/Thriller books. I hope to see many more books to come from this author!!

http://stores.lulu.com/stephenjhill

Stephen J. Hill's, "The Music City Madman", an imaginative, and highly entertaining novel or terror & suspense. Follow FBI special agent, Mark Peterson and local detective Wayne Tilson on a twisted and unexpected path as they hunt for this fiendishly clever serial killer who's striking a chord of terror into the heart of the country music industry. America's city of country queens is frozen in shock and the madman has plans for them all. The chill will be felt down your spine as Stephen J. Hill immerses you into a fiction without end, wrapped inside a killer's delusion.

Mrs. Brooke said...

My husband has his eye on this book!

I left you something over at my blog.

Karlene said...

This sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.