Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Book Meme

I grabbed this meme from Danielle but have seen it floating around a few other blogs as well.

What are some books you loved as a child? I liked the Box Car children, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, E.B. White. When I was a pre-teen I loved books by R.L. Stine. I also loved the Freshman Dorm Series by Linda A Cooney. I think I stopped reading these books before I finished the whole series but for a while there I was totally into those books. I would buy them with whatever money I could come up with (or beg from my parents). That all changed the day I borrowed Jane Eyre from the library. I fell in love with the book and decided I needed to read more mature books. I started trading all my teeny bopper books at the local paper back store for the likes of the Bronte sisters and Charles Dickens. I also really enjoyed reading Jean Thesman, Gerald N. Lund and Susan Evans McCloud amongst many others when I was a teenager.

What is your favorite genre? Good question. Lets see, I like historical fiction, especially set around WWI but really, any historical fiction. I like classics too. Really, I will read anything that sounds good to me at the time.

Do you have a favorite novel? No. I read too many good books to have just one favorite.

Where do you usually read? Lots of places. My favorite place to read is in my big chair in the living room (hence the name of my blog). Some times I like to lie across the couch and read. Most often I read while sitting in the rocking chair in the baby’s room while I feed her. Yesterday I got to sit outside in the sun with my feet in the kid's little pool and read while they played. It was heavenly. Anywhere I can grab some reading time and still have one eye on the kids.

When do you usually read? Whenever I can. I always read while I am nursing my baby. That is why my reading increased so much over the last year. Since she is one now and I am weaning her my reading time has dropped substantially. Since I don’t have to stop and sit down as often, I tend to not take the time to stop and read. I try to grab snippets of reading time throughout the day whenever I can, like when the kids are busy and happily playing, or napping. I always read at night before I go to sleep.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time? No. I usually just read one book at a time. I’ve been trying to work more non-fiction into my reading so I have been attempting to read a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time. It is not going so well. The non-fiction tends to get ignored if the fiction book is good.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? Not usually. It depends on the subject matter. If it is something that takes a lot of concentration than I have a hard time reading it during the day because the kids interrupt me too often.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out from the library? Right now I borrow most of the books I read from the library. I used to buy a lot of books but we kept moving and every time I had to leave books behind. I got tired of buying books that I would have to sell or give away the next time we moved. I think I own fewer books now than I have since I was a teenager. Some day I will be able to start rebuilding my personal library.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? Yes. Especially now that I only buy books by a trusted author or books that I have already read and loved. As I said in the last question, if it was not for all our moves I would have a lot more books. I hate parting with books.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? I have two children right now and they are in either the picture book stage or the board book stage. We check out huge stacks of books from the library every week. I am going to start reading chapter books to my 3 year old soon. Anyone with good suggestions, please send them my way.
I do look forward to introducing my daughter to Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austen some day.

What are you reading now? Today I finished Shooting the Moon and Bronte’s Book Club and I am about to finish Sunflower Houses. Then it will be back to focusing on my non-fiction read, A History of Joseph Smith by His Mother, before I start another fiction.

Do you keep a To Be Read List? You betcha! Several. I have my main TBR list and then I have a non-fiction list, a Newbery book list, a list of picture books, a list of classics and a list of books I want to read this year (I’ve also started contemplating my list for next year.) I have lists with all the books by favorite authors and lists of books from publications like Bookmarks. I use Goodreads to help me keep track of a lot of the books I want to read.

What’s next? If I stick to my list, the next fiction book will be Anne of the Island and the next non-fiction book will be Hope, Faith and Charity followed by 1776.

What books would you like to re-read? I try to re-read all 6 of Jane Austen’s novels every year. (I’ve only done 2 this year. I need to get reading the other 4!) There are other books that I tend to return to every few years. The Shell Seekers, One of Ours, As the Waltz was Ending, Homecoming. I actually do re-reads fairly often. I just finished Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day recently and I have a feeling it will be re-read several times.

Who are your favorite authors? That is almost as bad as asking me what my favorite novel is. Obviously Jane Austen is one. Willa Cather, Elizabeth Gaskell, Martha Grimes, Rosamunde Pilcher, L.M. Montgomery, Cynthia Voigt and probably many more that I cannot think of right now.

5 comments:

Webster Twelb said...

who doesn't love jane austen?

Jill said...

Oooh...what a fun meme! And look forward to adding more books to your TBR pile because you're the winner of the 10 Smithsonian's Backyard books from The Family Reading Challenge at The Well-Read Child! Please email your mailing address to thewellreadchild AT gmail DOT com, and I'll get them out to you this week! Congrats!

Jill

Danielle said...

Isn't it nice having a library where you can read books for free? Even though I buy a lot of books I use the library a lot, too. I am trying to read/reread all of Jane Austen's books, too. I read Northanger Abbey at the end of last year/beginning of this. Now I am working on Sense and Sensibility. I had only read P&P (several times) and Persuasion before. I'm looking forward to reading the other two I haven't read! I tend to pick up fiction more than NF, too. I am trying to read more NF this summer and read a little every day on my lunch hour. Thanks for playing along--I love reading other reader's answers.

Kim said...

You can really get to know a person through these kinds of memes. I think our tastes in books tells a lot about each of us. Thanks for sharing.

And as a side note--can you believe that I actually know someone who doesn't love Jane Austen? She tried to read P&P and couldn't get through it.

Trish said...

Wow--great meme and answers! I have had 1776 on my radar for a while so I look forward to hearing what you think. I also really enjoy WWI literature--any titles you would recommend?