Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer Reading


Has summer officially began now that I have signed my kids and myself up for the summer reading programs at the library?
Sign ups started yesterday and my goal was to be there right as the library opened but I got there 10 minutes late. The line was not too long but still too long for an impatient 3 year old who wanted to go look for books and did not get why we were standing in a line. The place got packed shortly after we arrived. The lines to sign up for the summer reading clubs were out the door, as was the line to check out books. All those kids so excited to spend their summer vacation reading! I have a confession to make. I never really did the summer reading thing as a kid. I would always walk or ride my bike down to the library at the start of summer and sign up but then never kept track of my books. I couldn't be bothered. That and I spent a lot of time at the pool and not so much time reading during the summer. As much as I would love to spend every day at the pool like I did as a kid, we can't afford a pool membership right now. So we will just spend our summer with our noses stuck in books.
What I love about this library is that they have a baby and toddler summer reading club so I can sign Little Miss L up too. They give you a little pamphlet with activities to do with your baby with stops along the way where you enter to win a prize. If we complete it then we will get a board book. The activities are things like, share a book with your child, sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes," point to signs and other words and read what they say, read a lift the flap book, etc etc. All things I do with my baby anyway so this should be fun and easy!
Red has graduated from the baby and toddler summer book club to the pre-school summer book club. (My baby is growing up!) I just have to keep track of the title of the books I read to Red and then turn our sheet in as we go to get prizes and enter to win the big prize at the end. We read so many books that I would not be surprised if we have the first half of the chart filled out by the time we go back to the library next week.
And of course they are nice enough to have a summer reading club for the adults too. I signed myself up so I can try to win some prizes as well. My fingers are crossed for the bookstore gift card.
Have you signed up for the Summer Reading Club at your library? What books are you planning to read this summer? I checked out Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson, Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen by Bob Greene and The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick yesterday. Those will be some good books to get me started this summer.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I just joined a blogging book club. I'll post about in the near future if you want to join.

I don't have a definite summer reading plan. Just keep going with my list of to-be-reads, I guess.

I hope you like The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It took me awhile to get into it, but it was interesting, and the pictures are amazing.

Brittanie said...

I don't think my local library has an adult summer reading program. What a shame! I love to read. :) I won the summer reading program when I was kid one summer years ago.