Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer Book Trek 2008


I have been debating whether I wanted to sign up for this challenge. I generally don't read a lot of LDS fiction but there are several LDS authors who are writing for a national market so I think I'll try some of those books.
You can read the full set of rules at the challenge site but here is the quick version:

This is a low-pressure, easy challenge. You set your own goals. All you have to do is make a list of fiction books by LDS authors that you want to read during the challenge (as few as one, or as many as you want). You can make changes to your list as needed—drop books that weren't as fun as you thought they'd be; add books if you finish early. Set the goals that fit your schedule. No pressure, no minimums. (We'd like to encourage you to pick one new fiction book by an LDS author published in 2008, but that's optional. And YES, you may use titles that you're already using for other challenges, as long as they're by LDS authors.)

My list:
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson (he is LDS, right?)
  • The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
  • Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (I guess I am finally going to start reading this series)
  • The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull
  • Cankered Roots by G.G. Vandagriff
  • Of Deadly Descent by G.G. Vandagriff
  • Tangled Roots by G.G. Vandagriff

That is all I am putting on my list because I have a busy summer of reading already planned. I also picked these books because they are available at my library whereas most books written for the LDS market are not.

4 comments:

LDS Publisher said...

Thanks for joining the Summer Book Trek. I've read several of the titles on your list. Hope you enjoy them.

Karlene said...

Hi Jeanette. I'm doing the Summer Book Trek too. Yes, Brandon Sanderson is LDS. I've read Alcatraz. It was pretty good. Princess Academy was good too. I also liked Twilight, but I liked The Host by Meyer even better. Haven't read any of Vandagriff's books so I'm interested in your reviews.

Karlene said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, I'm hosting my second annual Summer Reading Thing over on my blog. It starts this Friday, June 20th. The rules are similar to this one, very easy and you can use this same book list to double your chance at prizes. Hope you'll join me.

Susan said...

I joined this one, too - I'm really excited about it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on G.G. Vandagriff's books - they sound really interesting. I've read all of Stephenie Meyer's books, but no Shannon Hale, although I hear she's really good.