Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Library Recommends

A few weeks ago I was looking around at my library's website when I discovered that they will make a personalized recommended reading list for patrons. There was a short on-line form to fill out about what books you have read and enjoyed, what genres you enjoy etc. I filled it out and got my list a few days ago.

1.These Three Remain by Pamela Aiden
"The exciting conclusion to the" Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" trilogy recounts the climactic events of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" from its enigmatic hero's point of view."
I think it is interesting that they recommend the final book in a trilogy but not the first one. I have actually heard good things about these books but have not read them.

2.The Air We Breathe by Andrea Barrett
"The National Book Award-winning author of Ship Fever delivers her eagerly anticipated new novel, set in 1916, in an isolated town in the Adirondacks, far from the war raging in Europe."
They must have recommended this one because I told them that I liked historical fiction books set around the time of WWI. I have not heard of this one before and will probably check it out.

3. Presumption by Julia Barrett
"A remarkable sequel to Pride and Prejudice that features the Bennets, Bingleys, Wickhams, Collinses, Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy, and Georgina Darcy--the central character and heroine of this delightful book. Readers will be carried back to Pemberley and Derbyshire as though they had never left."

4. The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
"In Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen, that so long mistaken avatar of Victorian propriety while actually its wittiest and subtlest critic, wrote of Margaret Dashwood, the third sister: 'Margaret, the other sister, was a good-humored, well-disposed girl; but as she had already imbibed a good deal of Marianne's romance, without having much of her sense, she did not, at thirteen, bid fair to equal her sisters at a more advanced period of life'. At the same time that she so faithfully, with love and respect, evokes Jane Austen's style and characters and ambience, Julia Barrett bids fair to show Margaret's creator happily wrong in her estimation of Margaret's at first vulnerable, then shrewd and winning potential, the exercise of which makes for the substance of this remarkable novel on its own. But of course, Jane Austen couldn't know of Margaret's metamorphosis. Or perhaps she did, and meant one day to say so herself. Whatever, The Third Sister is an imaginative, creative continuation of Sense and Sensibility, featuring a Margaret Dashwood, the third sister, once so underestimated, who turns out to fool even her creator."

5.Pride and Prescience: Or, a Truth Universally Acknowledged
"Mr. & Mrs. Darcy, the joyous newlyweds from "Pride and Prejudice," have not even left for their honeymoon when they find themselves embroiled in a mystery involving one of their wedding guests."

I have never heard of the the 3 above titles. The description of #4 just makes me cringe. I doubt I'll be reading them.

6.The Heroines by Eileen Favorite
"Narrated by a spirited adolescent, this appealing debut novel features appearances by heroines from literature--from Emma Bovary to Scarlett OHara and Franny Glass--who take refuge at a Midwestern bed and breakfast when they need a break from their plots."
I have heard of this one but what I've heard has not been positive. As of right now, I am not interested.

7. Austenland by Shannon Hale
I have already read this one and you can read my review of Austenland if you are interested.

8. The Winter of the World by Carol Ann Lee
"The author of "The Hidden Life of Otto Frank" delivers her debut novel--set in the aftermath of World War I--a tender and heartrending portrait of two people struggling with their darkest demons, desperately trying to come back from the abyss of betrayal."
Another one set around WWI and another one that I will probably check out.

So, they sent me 8 recommendations based on the info I gave them. I am interested in 2 of them, maybe interested in 1 and already read 1.
Maybe I'll submit another request and see what they come up with the second time around.



3 comments:

Trish said...

I think I might be the only person on the blogosphere who still hasn't read Austenland or any Hale books. Need to amend quickly! Thanks for the list. I'll be reading some Austen this summer and these sound like great "companion" books!

stephi k said...

I always get worried about books that take literary icons and incorporate them in their books. It seems arrogant to me to assume you can get the character just right. That said, I still read those books, like "The Eyre Affair", which I did not love but it was interesting.

alisonwonderland said...

what a fun concept for your library to provide - even if it wasn't terribly successful in its recommendations to you this time!