Thursday, June 5, 2008

100 Years of Anne of Green Gables


My earliest memories of Anne of Green Gables center around my mother. She read the Anne books when she was a girl and had these beautiful hardback editions of at least the first 3 Anne books. (She may have had more, I don't remember.) Unfortunately these books were ruined by her kids, probably mostly by me. I'd love to find a copy of these on e-bay or somewhere and give them to my mom. I wonder what the odds are that I'd find them and that I'd be able to afford them?


This year marks the 100th anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables. I'll be working my way through as many of the Anne books as I can in the months to come. (Which might be easier said then done with all the books I have marked to read in the coming months.)
I have signed up to participate in a group read of Anne of Green Gables with the participants thoughts being posted on the Blogging Anne of Green Gables blog started by Kate. There are some great cover images over at the blog as well as links to sites with more information about the Anne books and L.M. Montgomery. And of course there are also some great posts already up.

I have a copy of The Poetry of Lucy Maud Montgomery that sits on my night stand. I like to pick it up every now and then and read a little bit. L.M. Montgomery was never considered a great poet but I have never been big into poetry so I guess she is a good match for me because I really enjoy her poems.
Here are the opening stanzas from a poem that makes me think of Anne each time I read it.

The Gable Window

It opened on a world of wonder,
When summer days were sweet and long,
A world of light, a world of splendor,
A world of song.

'Twas there I passed my hours of dreaming,
'Twas there I knelt at night to pray;
And, when the rose-lit dawn was streaming
Across the day,

I bent from it to catch the glory
Of all those radiant silver skies-
A resurrection allegory
For human eyes!

4 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I love Anne. I didn't realize it was her 100th anniversary. It's great to have an excuse to read all the books again. I'm actually in the middle of Mistress Pat right now.

Cheryl said...

Has it really been 100 years? Wow! I love the Anne books. I remember having read the first three when I was young, but it wasn't until after my first child was born that I sat down and (in 3 weeks) read all of them. I think I might have to borrow my mother's copies and read them again! Or perhaps have a good excuse to buy them so my daughter could read them one day...

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I love Anne! She was so much a part of my childhood as well. And I can't help myself, I watch the movies all the time.

Stephanie said...

I love the Anne of Green Gables series. I just read through them again this past fall. My favorite is Anne of the Island - gotta love the romance!