Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Queen of the Castle

Title: Queen of the Castle
Author: Lynn Bowen Walker
Genre: Homemaking, Non-Fiction
Pages: 311
Date Finished: 7 May 2008
My Rating: 2 Stars

I pretty much completely forgot I read this book until it came up on my list of books that have to go back to the library today. Tells you how much I liked it.
In the first chapter of this book Walker says that she could not find one book that was all encompassing about what it is like to be a mother so she decided to write one. Only as I read this I could not figure out what I was reading. A self-help book for mothers? A book about holidays? A book about faith? A cook book? A book on nutrition? An organization book? In my opinion there were too many varied topics in this book and it jumped around from topic to topic to much. Most of the book the author just quoted from other books and then threw in a few personal stories. Even when she was not quoting she was explaining what others have written in their books. There just did not seem to be many original thoughts. It was almost like I was reading an anthology of homemaking and organization books. It is set up with 52 chapters that are to be read over the course of the year and I read them all in two days, so maybe the flow works better when you only read one chapter a week.
I also did not agree with many of the author's philosophies. In one chapter she writes about how we as mothers should schedule less for ourselves and our kids and spend more time at home as a family. I totally agree with this but then the rest of the book was filled to the hilt with her personal stories about her kids being in so many activities at once that she was always driving around in the car and how they rarely have a homemade dinner together as a family etc etc. It was more about how to cope with your kids 7 extra curricular activities than cutting some of those activities out. In fact, she filled the book with so many ideas for activities that I almost started feeling the pressure of not doing enough for my kids.
I also whole heartedly disagree with her definition of the Sabbath. In her book, Walker says that the sabbath is anytime we take a break and do something to recharge our batteries. While I whole heartedly believe that we as mothers do need to take some time for a break and a little recharging, I also believe that the Sabbath day is much more specific than just any time we take a little break. The Sabbath day (Sunday) is a holy day reserved for worthy and holy activities. We abstain from work and recreation but we do not just lounge around. We attend church, pray, meditate, and study the scriptures. There are many other worthy sabbath day activities that we can involve ourselves in as well. Things like writing letters to family and friends, visit the sick or distressed, read, or spend quite time with family.
There were some things about this book that I did like. Walker did have a very supportive and encouraging attitude towards mothers and women who choose to stay home full time with their children. The book was also peppered with many, many yummy sounding recipes that I have copied and look forward to trying.
Overall, I was just not impressed with this book.

1 comment:

Chain Reader said...

Thanks for the review--based on the cover I would have been interested in it but it sounds like it's filled with fluff!