Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com
I am about half way through It's a Mall World After All by Janette Rallison right now. I wanted something fun and light to read after finishing the dark and cynical book The Chocolate War. This is fitting the bill perfectly. It is a fun read, a nice teenage fluff read that is actually turning out to have more substance than I expected.

This week I read the Chocolate War, L is for Lawless and The House of Order Handbook.
I hated the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. I put this book on my reading list after I saw it listed on some classics must read list somewhere. I hardly consider this book a must read or a classic!
L is for Lawless by Sue Grafton is the 12th Kinsey Milhone novel. I started reading this series in early 2006. I read A-D in very quick succession and then slowed down considerably. I enjoy the series, most of the time.
The House of Order Handbook by Marie Calder Ricks is an organizing book that I got through Interlibrary Loan. I am on a bit of a organizing/housekeeping book kick right now but I was not impressed with this one. You can read my thoughts here. I've got another organizing book that I requested through Interlibrary loan waiting to be picked up. Hopefully I will enjoy it more.

I have two books checked out from the library that I should be reading this week. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary and The Italian by Anne Radcliff. I have at least three Interlibrary Loan requests out right now and I have The Red Leather Dairy and Home on hold.
I anticipate The Italian will take me awhile to read (the print is tiny) but if I do get through it this week than I will start reading I am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson.

I went a little crazy with my To Be Read list this week. I think I added 31 books. Here are some of the highlights:
One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downes
The Edwardians by Vita Sackville-West
The Perfect Summer by Juliet Nicolson
Victorian Love Stories by Kate Flint
The Widow's War by Sally Gunning
All of the above are titles that I got from the blog A Work In Progress
Some of the other books I added include:
Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts
Holy Secret by James L. Ferrell
The Presidents Lady by Irving Stone (I just visited the Hermitage last month and learned a lot about Andrew Jackson and his wife Rachel. I am really looking forward to reading this novel.)
The Mom's Club Diaries by Allyson Condie and Allyson Braithwaite Condie
Dickens by Peter Ackroyd
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

I am going to go do some dishes, put the kids to bed and enjoy a nice evening in a comfy chair reading a good book. :-)

4 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

Don't you just love adding to your TBR? I LOVE book recommendations!

wisteria said...

I hated the Chocolate War also...and I read it was on some great classic book list too. I couldn't get into it.
Switch to a better war....
ReadThe Widow's War
I loved it!!!!!
I haven't added TBR books on my Sunday Salon post yet. I think I'll start I like the idea.

Table Talk said...

I love Cormier, so I'm sorry you didn't like 'The Chocolate War'. Have you tried 'After the First Death'? It has a lot to say to a world where the military so often has power over the elected government.

Janeite42 said...

I saw the comment you left on my blog and wanted to thank you. Nice to hear from another Janeite. I haven't even heard of some of the JA-related books on your list, and am anxious to try the ones you gave high marks to.