Friday, April 25, 2008

The Chocolate War

Title: The Chocolate War
Author: Robert Cormier
Genre: Young Adult
Pages:263
Date Finished: 25 April 2008
My Rating: 1 Star

I Did not like this book at all. I had to force myself to finish it just because I hate leaving books unfinished. It is a story about a chocolate sale at a private boys prep school. The action revolves around one evil bully, an equally evil and manipulative teacher and their victim. I find it extremely unbelievable that one teenage boy could have as much power as the bully in this story does. The plot was completely ridiculous. I did not care for the theme of the book or most of the action of the book. Much of it was obscene and lacked any good morals what so ever. After reading this cynical and dark story I need to go find something light, fun and easy to read just so I can wash this book out of my brain.
Don't waste your time. Read something better.

2 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Thanks for the warning! I'm like you, I feel an obligation to finish books. Sometimes I think we need to realize that not everything is great and there is a lot of trash out there. For me, I have only not finished one book in the last two years. I think it's still sitting in the top drawer of my dresser with just 50 more pages to go.

Joy said...

Wow! Thank you for the warning!!! I am not interested in reading anything like you described. AND...I think I had this on my TBR list - somewhere.

Also, it has taken me years (yes, literally years) to get my mind wrapped around the idea of not finishing a book. It is still difficult for me to do, however, I have done it twice this year and I feel good about it. The mantra I keep going in my head (when the need to abandon arises) is something like - life is too short to waste time reading books I'm not enjoying OR there are too many good books out there to waste my time reading one that is not. I believe in both of those statements. That being said, there are times when I still forge through a book that's not great, but it's far and few between.

Others have told me - there's no prize for finishing all the books you pick up. They are right. However, I understand the concept of finishing something you've started. The whole closure idea is a strong emotion.

Oh my goodness! Sorry for the ramble. :)