Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Beezus and Ramona

Title: Beezus and Ramona
Author: Beverly Cleary
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Pages: 159
Date Finished: 13 April 2008
My Rating: 5 Stars

I decided to read this on a bit of a whim. Inspired by D.E.A.R day I pulled out some of my old books from when I was a kid. I don't think I have read a Beverly Cleary book since I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I did read her autobiographies when I was in 7th grade for a book report. I always loved Beverly Cleary and I am excited to return to these great children's classics.
9 year old Beezus, who always seems so level-headed, is dealing with the antics of her "creative" 4 year old sister, Ramona. Beezus is trying to work through the fact that she does not always like her little sister. Especially when Ramona does things like write all over the pages of a library book, take one bite out of dozens of apples or bake her doll into Beezus' birthday cake.
I was impressed with how Calm Mrs. Quimby remained through all of Ramona's antics. I guess her character stands out to me more now that I am a mother and not a pesky little sister anymore. (Well, I am still a younger sister, but maybe not so pesky anymore.)

1 comment:

Cee Cee said...

I love Beezus and Ramana! Thanks for sharing.