Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Magician's Nephew

Title: The Magician's Nephew
Author: C.S. Lewis
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fantasy
Pages: 208
Finished Reading: 3 March 2008
My Rating: 4 Stars

I've never read any of the Chronicles of Narnia series, shocking I know. Apparently there is a debate about the order they should be read in, by publication date or chronologically. I decided to go chronologically. I am hoping the series gets better as it goes. Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy the Magician's Nephew but I guess after hearing so much for so many years I had really high expectations.
I found the story of how Narnia was created to be very interesting. There were some biblical parallels such as Aslan creating light, water, grass, trees, animals etc. One striking difference is of course that in the Bible man is created after the image of God while in Narnia, man is not created in the image of Aslan. I have of course heard about the biblical undertones found in the Chronicles of Narnia and while I did pick up on them, I was more interested in the story of Uncle Andrew, Polly and Digory than trying analyze all that. I enjoyed it for the children's story that it is.
One my favorite parts of the story is when Uncle Andrew is getting dressed up in a strange attempt to impress Queen Jadis. I loved the line when the narrator said that children have their own kind of silliness and adults have theirs. How true!
My other favorite part was when the newly created animals in Narnia are trying to figure out what Uncle Andrew is. I was laughing my head off at that part.
An enjoyable story but fantasy is just not my thing, hence the reason I have not read any of the series before and also why I find myself giving the book a B rating.

No comments: